Peter McCauley - North Coast

Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:42 pm

Anyone hear on BBC about this guy hooking the first Blue Fin tuna in Northern irish waters?

Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:48 pm

think there's a whole website devoted to it

Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:50 pm

i've got a photo of the fish ,think its about 350lb.

Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:56 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6109366.stm

thats the website there

Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:29 pm

tuna sandwichs :D :D :D :D :D

Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:47 pm

excellent catch!see, there are some decent fish to be had off the north coast afterall!!! has anyone heard of any other tuna being caught in ireland this year so far? i know none were caught last year going by reports

Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:00 pm

Hey Phil... Question being.... Can we get the Lynda Lynda up to the right speed to Tow Teasers? :lol:

Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:06 pm

"I believe it is actually the first blue fin in the whole of Ireland, but to catch it in Northern Irleand is something remarkable. This is one that didn't get away, thankfully."

there have been a good few tuna caught off ireland have there not? was there not a 968lbs blue fin got of donegal?

Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:10 pm

I already questioned this in Scombre Cafe....
And Yeah... There's been plenty...

Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:07 pm

There's been a few seen of the North Coast last couple years, though the guys that seen them have kept it rather hush hush on the mark.

I know one is trying to get a boat rigged up at the minute and has invested in some of the big Penn reels..
Just a lot of time needed to be put into it.

Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:27 am

i think it was a case of the guy meaning that it was the first one caught in ireland this year.......

i think that they are right along the north coast, but just at different distances offshore...

just a matter of tracking them down, there have been several sightings of them up here before, just a lack of boats targatting them, thats all, it was just a matter of time

oops

Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:32 am

sorry, wrong thread...
Last edited by petekd on Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:35 am

"I believe it is actually the first blue fin in the whole of Ireland, but to catch it in Northern Irleand is something remarkable. This is one that didn't get away, thankfully."

from that paragraph it looks like he thinks he's the first to get a bluefin off our shores, not just this year either... :? :?

even though i woudnt complain if i caught one.. just tie me down to the boat first :shock: :shock: :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:40 am

the paragraph def looks that way, but i think we will allow him a slip of the tongue during his elation of catching such a fine fish.....especially after 4 years of trying! if he has been fishing them for 4 years he will obviously know that its not the first in ireland after donegal etc getting a good few over the past few years..... ithink ill just take a walk up round the corner here to glasgow angling centre to see what price the tuna rods and reels are!!!!! its getting tempting!! :roll: :P :idea:

Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:43 am

mods...maybe move this to the boat angling Q&A forum?

Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:08 pm

do u think he caught it on the rod or the nets?

Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:24 pm

ROD AND LINE...... he targets them ...... a mate who was at the harbour when it was landed told me he thought it was 50class gear it was caught on.... it was out of portrush he was trolling for them..

Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:28 pm

Nice one. just shows ya determination does pay off. He will be eating tuna until this time next year :)

tuna

Sun Nov 05, 2006 4:21 pm

oh goodie.tuna at the bar mouth.???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:45 pm

BigPhil wrote:mods...maybe move this to the boat angling Q&A forum?

OK, moved, but I bet there's one or two of our shore anglers thinking "hey, I was gonna target those bad boys from the rocks......." :P