Me and My Boat

Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:43 pm

Hypothetical question.

I buy a boat just for sea fishing from the Buy and Sell paper. I am in N.Ireland. Do I ?

1. Need a Licence to take this boat on the water ?

2. If so where do I get it?

3. Basically what other red tape/ hidden costs are there for me and my boat ?

As I said hypothetical question. :D

boat

Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:55 pm

you can take your boat (however un sea worthy) launch it off what evr piece of beach you can get it to set out without licence, lifejacket, charts, compass or insurance (or undeed any ability or knowledge) and start your single handed around the world trip!

yes the situation is that crazy

by the way i would not recommend that you try it, but if you do good luck and they cant touch you (well possibly under the mental health act)

Re: boat

Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:58 pm

ray wrote:you can take your boat (however un sea worthy) launch it off what evr piece of beach you can get it to set out without licence, lifejacket, charts, compass or insurance (or undeed any ability or knowledge) and start your single handed around the world trip!

yes the situation is that crazy

by the way i would not recommend that you try it, but if you do good luck and they cant touch you (well possibly under the mental health act)

3 Men, 1 Bath, 2 Paddles, and a Packet of Tayto Cheese and Onion set off on there Round the world trip from Ballyhalbert Harbour, Julember 2009

Re: boat

Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:05 pm

3 Men, 1 Bath, 2 Paddles, and a Packet of Tayto Cheese and Onion set off on there Round the world trip from Ballyhalbert Harbour, Julember 2009 [/quote]

You drinking again Drew? :lol:

Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:19 pm

mmmm see how he goes 8)

Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:52 am

So I take it you need a licence, MOT sort of thing certificate for seaworthyness, obviously the equipment, but is that all the paperwork? :?

Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:17 am

A Powerboat Level 2 Certificate is useful from the point of view of teaching the basics, and getting a reduction on any boat insurance premium, but not compulsory.

Boat insurance is not compulsory.

There is no mandatory certifacte of seaworthiness for a pleasure craft, only those operating under SOLAS regulations.

A Short Range Radio Certifcate of Competence is useful to learn how to use a VHF radio, and essential with DSC VHF, to get a MMSI No. Again, not compulsory.

Learn the local River/harbour traffic regulations and speed limits.

That's it.

Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:35 pm

Make sure you know all the required info if you're skipping the border to do a bit of fishing - different rules apply - some slips have charges, you MUST wear lifejacket to certain spec etc. Best to check on the rules, but like stated above, in the North, you can pretty much do what you like at your own risk :shock:

Useful sea safety link

Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:03 pm

Here's a link for anyone who's interested, on sea safety for small vessel owners , you can request free info and a SEA check , and some other stuff - it's an RNLI site, but applies no matter what side of our wonderful border you live/boat on !!

http://www.rnliseasafety.org.uk/ - go to Resources link and order some guides on sea safety - some really good free stuff there - and you can make a donation - these guys or their equivalent could some day save your skin !!

Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:06 pm

Already worked on a donation Conor :D ,
Thanks for the info :)