Boat for next season

Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:03 pm

Hello,

I am looking for advice on buying a used boat with good engine for next season.
Basically I will have about £6000 to spend.

I am after a boat that is capable of being launched from a slipway. I plan to fish up to around 5 miles off the coast (The Maidens off Larne to be precise).

What sort of boat should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Trev

Boat

Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:17 am

See what you can get in a Warrior 165 for that money.

Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:12 pm

was looking at 150's the other evening and there was a number of them for just over 6000 sterling, might be worth a look

check this web site and type in warrior in the search engine
http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk

Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:59 pm

Cheers lads,

I will check these boats out.

Thanks for the advice,
Trev

Shortie

Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:45 pm

I can't fault the Sea Hog - have it almost a year - love it - very easy to handle, very stable in lumpy water. Piece of whazz to launch. Came with rollercoaster trailer, 50hp Evinrude, GPS, Fishfinder and VHF, and loads of rod holders and bits and bobs. Came in at just over 3K ( I think 2K was knocked off for the embarassment of having a stupid name !!). Loads of deckspace , but that's due to having a tiny cabin (why it's called a Shortie) - but who needs a cabin when you have a hat and a warm fleece and waterproof !! :D

Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:29 pm

Hi Connor,

Do you use the seahog far offshore? How does she handle in rougher weather?

Cheers,
Trev

Sea Hog

Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:06 am

I've had it out at sea in lumpy enough weather, nothing major though - I wouldn't even consider it - handles really well though. Has a Cathedral Hull which is very stable compared to a conventional v-shaped bottom, and in either light chop conditions or above 40 knots or so is faster than a flat bottom, for the same weight, length and beam - advantages include high waterplane area at rest (good initial stability) a dry ride in light chop, and reasonable fuel economy at planing speed.

My fishing is mostly inshore and big lakes, so I've never had it very far offshore - far enough though - I can't imagine why , if you took the necessary precautions and care, that you couldn't fish further out.

Hope this helps. Where are you based ? You could have a look at it if you wanted , or PM me and I'll send some pix - she's not for sale though ! :D

Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:13 am

Just re-read my last post - just so you know , I don't have the boat at 40 knots - was just giving an overview of cathedral hulls ! Would be nice to be able to sit at 40 knots though !

Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:30 am

You had me frantically typing to establish exactly what kind of outboard ya had on the back of....."Simply Red" Ahem.. :D

Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:06 pm

Pete .... I cringe when I say the name myself ! :oops: :oops: :oops:

It has to change , but I'm afeared to change it - superstitions and all that !

Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:31 pm

orkney fastliner 19 cracking sea boat. will handle rough weather and ours will do 18kts with only 30hp 4 stroke. uses hardly any fuel-around 4 gls in sept on a 5hr trip cruising 10 miles then trolling rest of the day at 6kts.
fairly handy to put on and off trailer. newer models better with self draining deck.

Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:38 pm

Guys,

spoke to a guy who is seling a seahog commodore (like new has 2 bucket seats) with suzuki 55 hp 2 stroke engine (engine is 5 years old) and mariner 5 hp 2 stroke, complete with trailer, VHF radio, FF, GPS, compass, anchor etc for £7000.

Is this a good deal?

Cheers,
Trev

Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:47 pm

you should check boatsandoutboards.com, thought i saw a few for cheaper on it. could be wrong tho

Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:29 am

Trev,
Looks very like the Shortie (shape and size wise).

http://www.seahog.co.uk/Commodore.htm

Same style boat as mine, same size engine. Mine came in at just over £3k for the lot - but your engine is newer, and the boat may well be newer - though mine's in great nick. Up to you I suppose but maybe take someone along who knows what they're looking for and get a second opinion before forking out £7K.

Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:36 am

Hmmmm I would suggest that 7k sterling with a 5 year old 2 stroke is dear TBH. Ignore the electronics on board the boat when taking the price into consideration, majority of the time these are very basic entry level items and a finder/VHF/GPS can all be purchased new for not much over €200.

£7000 will buy you a hell of a lot of boat if you shop around, its well over halfway to the price of a brand spankers Warrior 165 after all. I'd advise you to keep looking.

Update

Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:13 pm

Cheers Lads,

I spoke to a guy today from seahog boats and he reckons that £7000 isn't a bad price. He said to get a seahog commodore with 4 stroke for under £10k i'd be doing well. The ad said with 2 stroke £7K or nearest offer.

I am defo interested in the Warrior 165 but I am worried that it may be difficult to nail one down in Ireland and I will have to go to England to get one, so I am kind of factoring that into the equation as well.

I am going to look at the seahog tomorrow lunch time and I am going to inspect it and take some pictures. Maybe I can post them up and see what you all think.

I went onto the seahog website and did some sums on a new commodore and with the trailer,seats etc a new one comes in at £6950 without engine.

All thoughts welcome. BTW I really appreciate all the advice so far lads.

Cheers,
Trev
Last edited by trevt on Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:56 pm

Theres a crowd in England recently doing new Commadore/ new roller coaster trailer/ new suzuki 50hp 4stroke for about 10000 pounds, makes the one youre after sound a bit dear, lovely big roomy boats, try offering a bit less if youre happy with the boat,
Steve

Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:01 pm

Cheers Steve,

what do you reckon as an opening gambit for an offer? £6K £6.5?

Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:09 pm

How did you get on Trev?
Steve

Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:59 pm

The boat was in excellent condition and had all the extras. If I could get it for about £6k i'd be happy. It is a beast of a boat with loads of room. But I would prefer it if it had a 4 stroke on it. still mulling it over. the guy offered to take me on a run in it so i'll know more then.

I have posted some pics here

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/op_tre ... r=/aa05re2

what is a reasonable offer to make for this boat then lads?