Reel keeps 'slipping'

Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:18 am

I have a Penn Senator 3/0 reel but when i get a good fish on the reel it starts to strain and 'slip'. Anyone know what the problem is or should I send it off for repair??

Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:58 am

are you sure the lines well tied to the spool ,i've seen braid slipping around the spool and not small amounts ,we're talking 300m !
Also could be your clutch disc's is contaminated with either water or oil/grease ,easy enough fixed just take out the washers and give then a good degrease and dry them out well before replacing .

Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:07 am

It's not the line slipping cause I was using the same line at the start of the year and it was fine. Think I will have to open it up and have a look inside.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:29 am

thirty wrote:It's not the line slipping cause I was using the same line at the start of the year and it was fine. Think I will have to open it up and have a look inside.

I'm not entirely sure what the problem is- if the clutch is set correctly a good fish should be able to take some line if it applies enough pressure.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:44 am

Is it slipping gears? Is it accompanied by a bit of a grating noise? If so it could be worn gearing. Although I have seen in the past, not on a Senator right enough, that when maybe the casing screws arent tight enough it leaves a bit of play which can cause gears to slip. Also seen it happen if the knob that controls spool float is left too loose.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:00 pm

Yes the slipping is accompanied by a grating noise, I have caught 50 pound tope with this reel before but it seems to be worn now??

reel slipping

Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:56 pm

my money would be on the star drag needing tightened (it probably doesn't as by the sound of it its doing its job!) but lots of people hate a clutch that lets out line!!!!