Jelly worms

Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:10 pm

What's the best way to fish Jelly worms:?:
Can they be used on a flying collar like a Redgill :?: or if used with a Leadhead how do I rig this and what technique should I use :?

Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:12 pm

Sorry, That was me, forgot to sign in :oops:

Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:26 pm

Hi Adrian,
I use a 1oz leadhead with a 6" jelly worm (black with firetail). I use only spirepoint leadheads which I make myself as I have more success with these than any other jig heads. I use a 5/0 hook to make the 1oz spirepoint. Lay the leadhead side by side with the worm and note where the hook exits the body (on my jelly worms, this is 3 ridges before the largest ridge on the worm) . I then thread the hook through until the point emerges from the marker ridge. Continue threading the worm until the head is snug to the lead. This way the worm sits perfectly on the hook. Cast as far as possible, let it sink, and begin as slow a retrieve as you can. Pollock will suck at it, but don't strike. You'll know when it's hooked as it will hit the lure so hard it'll hook itself - give it a bit of a strike to be sure , and let the fun begin.

I've had success in deeper water by making a rig with 2 firetails about 2 feet apart on 5/0 O'Shaughnessy hooks, above an 8oz spirepoint leadhead baited with a mackerel fillet. Bait the firetails if you want , but I dont bother.

Cheers,

Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:30 pm

Thanks Conor,

Just 1 or 2 more stupid questions.

For this technique would I need an uptider or should I be able to cast it far enough away from the boat with a trusty 6' boat rod :?:

Also I take it you use a length of heavy mono between the leadhead and the mainline :? [/quote]

Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:42 pm

Hi Adrian,
For spinning with 1oz leadheads and jellyworms, I use a wee 6'6" ugly stick triggergrip spinning rod with a Shimano 4000 slade reel with 20lb line. Great craic. I use this combo when fishing from the boat close to rocks and cliffs off Tory Island and Horn Head.
For the 2 x jellyworm rig with 8oz leadhead I use my Diawa uptide rod with a multiplier as I tend to get bigger fish using this setup - occasionally a ling or decent pollock will lift the 8oz leadhead with the mackerel fillet.
I very rarely use a standard boat rod as I can't work right handed multipliers so tend to stick to fixed spool reels, which I find easier to use with an uptider. Suits me - mightn't suit everyone though. I suppose it's best to stick to what suits yourself as opposed to what someone tells you to use (though I highly recommend down sizing rods and reels for leadhead spinning - some craic !!)

Hope this helps,

Cheers,