Trace Lengths

Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:00 pm

I am heading out on a charter out of mullaghmore next week and am going to use some shads i received for my birthday but at am a loss as to the length of trace i should use :roll: Is it different to that of red gills :?:
What can i expect out of mullaghmore :?: :?: :?:

Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:26 pm

Hi Big Bear

Welcome to the forum. Mullaghmore offers very varied fishing depending on where you head. Best option is to find out the skipper's name and contact them directly. There is a listing of Sligo skippers including contact details on the website. A standard flying collar, with rig length varuing from 1 -3 m is standard fare. Lenght depends on the bottom, currents etc. Doubtless others will have fished here and have more information...

Hope this helps... (and let us know how you got on!).

Shads

Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:57 am

Shads tend to need a lead head to keep them swimming staight. This is due to their shape. If the lure is swimming upside down or on its side it will very rarely catch. because of this extra lead weight you need to shorten your trace length. Normal wrecking and reef fishing requires about only 4 ft. As opposed to the usual minimum of 8 ft - 20 ft for redgills. Any more than this and the lure will refuse to swim propperly. This is the usual rules. If the tide is running hard you might get away with a slightly longer trace. Because your trace length is so short you should use long 10" wire french booms. The reason for this is that black tube booms can often attract pollack etc. into attacking the boom instead of the lure. The wire booms are a hell of a lot cheaper also at 10 for €2 and due to their ingenious design can be attatched and removed quickly with no fuss!

Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:36 pm

Thanks Luke,

Where can i buy the wire booms. I have some of the eddystone booms but i wouldn't want to risk missing fish :D

booms

Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:15 am

veals mail order does great deals on them or any good tackle shop will sell them. They are known as french booms. They are much cheaper and better than tube booms.

Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:38 pm

Use the Storm Shads which have built in weight.

Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:22 pm

thanks george they are the ones i have the new holographic ones all i need now is the winds to go away from the west :evil: