Warrior 165s.....

Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:31 am

After yet another debacle at the weekend, I would put up a report but I think in fairness you have all heard enough at this stage, it has been decided after some discussion to sell all and go for a new package. I had a look at a Warrior 165 yesterday and have to say it was love at first sight. Anybody got one of these or have any opinions on the 165s? The package I was looking at was fully kitted out with all electronics, finder, icom vhf, gps, etc on a rollercoaster trailer and was retailing at €21000. Engine was a 60hp Mariner Bigfoot. As the sales person was less than friendly and most probably when he saw the 2 of us young(ish!) fellas coming in wrote us off as tyre kickers I got bugger all info out of him as he disappeared! :shock:

A few questions,

What are these boats like on the water, handling wise, in choppy seas etc?

What sort of a cruising speed and max speed would you get from a 165 with the 60hp Mariner?

Any issues with the Mariner Bigfoots?

Is 21k a decent enough price or are they available any cheaper anywhere else?

2nd hand warrior 165

Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:38 am

Hi Pete,
a friend of mine has had one from new (02 model), he's never had a days problem with it.

Regarding its ability in the sea, in very choppy seas it will cut better into the waves than most other boats, but the down side is that the V hull will not be as fast as the flat bottom Sea Hog boats. On Anchor they,re a lot safer than the V hull in a rough sea, but the flat bottom will give you a more steady ride.

His boat has the Mariner 75 4-stroke, his top speed is 37 mph.

If you're interested, I know he's got it for sale for 14500, this comes with the baitwells, one seat, anchor & chain, fishfinder, compass, gps, integrated fuel tank, trailer, etc.

His number is 086-8364252,
The boat is in Bray, Co. Wicklow.

Hope this helps,

Brian
http://www.crabrock.com

Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:23 pm

Thanks for that Brian, however if Im going to spend that kind of money, I think I would rather go brand new but cheers anyway.

Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:32 pm

http://fishing_boats.tripod.com/
Gives some personal reviews on the Warrior 165

boats

Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:49 am

Pete, for that same money you should also have a good look at the Raider 18 cuddy with a 80 hp Mercury four stroke EFI. bigger boat, will fish 4 and easy to tow and launch etc. also a dream in choppy water etc. Have one myself and was my choice over the 165. Well worth a look. :shock:

Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:29 pm

i'm now on my second 165.

the 60 bigfoot is a good engine but it goes better with the 75.

same speed at less effort. go for an etec as the fuel eco is just fantastic.
3 years free service period and fuel economy makes up for the extra cost plus she will have a top speed of 36 when reqd.

the ride is good in all conditions but its 1 fault is when your are pulling up in a chop she has a tendancy to throw a wave up and over if you stop quickly.

the raider 18 is a fine boat but has a few problems. she catches the wind like a sail which makes drifting a problem. she sits fine at anchor but when the wind picks up tends to yaw too much.
finally its a HUGE lump to be towing anywhere far. not a problem in a marina or short distances.

IMHO

ps they also don't line up on the trailers too smartly on the slightly older models.