2ed hand boat pros and cons

Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:11 pm

hi i was thinking of investing in a 2ed hand boat and i was wandering the things that i need to look out for when buying. the type of boat i am looking for is one that you can stand up in to fish from i fished from a speed boat last year it was OK but i would prefer to stand up. now saying that it might be winter time till i get it but i wouldn't have any probs getting my hands dirty (£500-£3000 price range) it's only for me and maybe one other. and what kind of price on average am i looking at for a mooring i dont have a car at the min so it would have to be left in dock and taken out in the winter for anti fowling

Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:43 am

Take your time to begin with, rushing in often leads to mistakes that you may regret. Rest of the lads will have plenty of other advice but personally I would avoid second hand engines especially the upper end of the horse power scale, if it gives up the ghost then your going to fork out an absolute fortune for a new one. I bought my boat second hand but the engine new and in three years boating its been perfect, 100% every trip with no hitches. Obviously it will cost you more but it will give you peace of mind when your out at sea.

As for the boat itself...get in it, underneath it, on top of it and around it. Look for patch up jobs or any additional hull works, dents or impressions. If you can get a spin out in it (useful for judging engine but not foolproof) so much the better. Go for the recognised brands such as orkney and you'll know your getting a safe boat, £3000 would get you the guts of a second hand orkney longliner.

As for trailers (i know you mention you dont have a car but you'll need a trailer at some stage) make sure the one with the boat is designed for it, check for any trailer damage on the hull of the boat. Make sure the bearings are free running in the wheels and that the axle is up to the job of carting the boat. If the trailer is a recognised brand a phone call or search of the net will give the maximum weight capacity of that particular trailer. Compare that with the weight of the boat on it.

second hand boats

Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:20 pm

yer what pete said
but i would not get too upset about wheel bearings they are cheap enough and will need replaced at least every year any way.

a boat has to be in obviously very poor condition before its un sea worthy the main thing is to look at the transom (the blunt end) this is a plywood/fibre glass sandwich and routinely the wood in the middle rots away, americans regard replacing the transom as routine but here we see it as a big deal

Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:43 pm

i agree with ray wheel bearings are usually hammered after a year so dont get fussy bout them.boat wise i would go for orkney,we have had 2 of them and both are great boats practical for fishing.the orkney 520 is a nice boat with sturdy hull and plenty of deck space but the orkney longliner is another option.

before u buy make sure you give the entire hull a check over and talk 2 the owner because we fishermen are usually pretty honest :roll: fiberglass is usually quite an easy material to fix if u know how or know a man who can