What boat rod?

Thu May 27, 2004 4:51 pm

I've been looking at boat rods, not looking for anything too extravagant as it will probably only get used at sea a couple of times a year, but I’d rather buy one that hire one each time.
Most seem to be one piece or with a removable handle, but some have a joint at the half way point. Not much difference in price for what I’m looking at, €50 price range would get me a 1 piece Abu Garcia workhorse from the local tackle shop or I could get a 2 piece Shakespeare Seaswell from the web for about €40 delivered. I’m tempted to go for 2 piece (half and half) for ease of transport and storage. I have read Kieran’s very useful section on rods but not sure if getting the 2 piece would be a good idea in the long run.
What would you guys recommend? :? :? :?

Multipart boat rods

Fri May 28, 2004 9:07 am

I have a couple of Exage stand-up boat rods that come in four parts, and have never had any problems. I bought them primarily for travel, since I'm often in Brazil with herself, and in most cases you need to take your own tackle. However, there's no doubt that a travel rod is very convenient, even at home. I wouldn't worry about the function of a two piece rod.

Fri May 28, 2004 1:38 pm

Neil,

Thanks for the info, there's nothing worse than spending money on something and finding out afterwards that it was a bad move.
Thanks again.

boat rods

Sun May 30, 2004 7:52 pm

neil,
try the penn boat and uptide combo's they are available from many online tackle shops and come in 20-30lbs & 30-50lbs classes they are £80 for 2 rods including a penn commander multiplier reel or £49.99 each with reel they are bloody good value for money and perform very well ive caught tope to 35lbs and the rod (7ft) had exceptionally feel on mono line (25lb).

Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:01 am

Shakespear Ugly Stick model 1480 15lb class. So good, I bought three of them.

An absolutely fantastic all-rounder. Dunno what it would cost in Euros, pay about £70 +p&p Sterling mailorder in the UK.

Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:55 pm

I got a ulgy Stik Elite 15lb class ( £54.99 + P&P ) from the Uk.
Try this site http://www.jims-mail-order.co.uk.
He does all the Ulgy Stik rods at reasonable prices, would contact him about shipping prices before ordering.
Last edited by Dave_B on Wed Jun 02, 2004 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.