Fahan Marina, Lough Swilly

Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:24 pm

I heard the marina at Fahan could be forced to close next year coz the DCC have placed a ban on the owners from dumping the sand when they go to dredge it? All becuase the marina was built without planning permission from the Council. Is this true? The marina could certainly be doing with a good dredging....

I was thinking of buying the boat from said friend but not sure what to do if the marina folds...

Also does anyone know anything about the planned breakwater/marina for Buncrana Pier?

Gary

Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:34 pm

Gary, have you read the bit on pg 21 of Fridays Journal? I have a boat in the marina - have had since it opened, don't think any danger of it closing in the near futurev - there are over 200 boats in there now - take an average of a 1000 euro a year berthing fees.........
The whole Buncrana marina is donegal county council being its usualy 'ejit' self - instead of supporting a private venture they see the money making potential and think they'll have a slice of the action and build their own in Buncrana which would be clean daft when a perfectly good facility is already in place and just needs finished off. This is just irish politics at its usual quality - to make it worse they are basing the whole thing by saying they need better facilities for the lifeboat - when the channel was dredged a couple of years agao and all the money spent making the place for the lifeboat and the ramp for the ferry all the local comercial fisherman said it was never going to work anyway yet of course no one asked them but paid thousands orf euro to consultants who 'know' the palce better.
The marians going no whwere - i hope not anyway as I think its a great facility (there where about 30 boats in buncrana/Fahan 5 years agao - there are now almost 200 in that marina....)
By the way if rumours are correct the same consultants have also been paid to provide studies of marina potential at Rathmullan and also moville.

Re: Fahan Marina, Lough Swilly

Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:16 am

Irish_Shamrock wrote:I heard the marina at Fahan could be forced to close next year coz the DCC have placed a ban on the owners from dumping the sand when they go to dredge it? All becuase the marina was built without planning permission from the Council.

I'm just wondering why the owners went ahead and built it without planniong permission?

Any links to the background of this?
jd

Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:09 pm

To be honest jd, I don't know whey construction went ahead without prior planning permission from Donegal County Council.

I actually knew nothing about it at all until I took the notion this year to buy a boat. The boat I'm buying is the first boat you see to the left of the gangway down into the marina.

I noticed that at low tide it looked like it was too shallow to navigate and was wondering why the place hadn't been dredged. It was only then I heard what was going on.

If the marina doesn't close, but the Council ban on the owners of the marina dumping the sand continues, then after a short time the marina is going to be unusable, in my limited opinion anyway.