poaching lobster pots

Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:31 pm

just want to vent my spleen on this one guys. was fishing off bray head about 10 days agowhen i saw a guy in a sea hog wrapped around a lobster pot rope. when he eventually got free he hauled the pot aboard and helped himself to the contents and chucked the pot overboard. as far as i can see this is very bad behaviour on this guys part and is depriving some poor sod of a living. i know which club the boat belongs to so should i report him to the club or am i over reacting?????

Pots

Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 pm

DISGRACEFUL CARRY ON!

He should have waited until it was dark like everyone elses does :D

Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:47 pm

If Luke's reading this, it was not me, honest.

My view on this is that if the Sea Hog got caught up on this pot's rope then the pot was a danger to navagation and could have caused possible loss of life, the 'pot' man should be reported.
How much damage could have been caused to boat, engine or hands (while trying to undo the tangle).

Damien

poaching lobster pots

Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:31 pm

poaching lobster pots- I prefer em fried!!!
Boom Boom
Aaaagghh

At least Im going fishing tomorrow and will have something worthwhile to write!

This was a wind-up right!!. Apologies if its not

Kev

Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:12 pm

report to the club if lobsters were removed as this is stealing unless there was an excessive length of rope on the surface-40 ft or more.

all boaters should know to keep down wind of pot bouys and slow down and look for ropes while fishing close to them.

theres room for all out there.

i quite often fish close to pots(and there are around 3500 around sheephaven, donegal) and you just have to watch the drift and try to guess where the pots are from the bouys at each end.

remember it also pisses the fishermen off hauling pots with 6 mackeral hooks stuck in the rope.

respect both sides i say.

Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:36 pm

i disagree that if he got caught in the rope it must have been a navigation danger. ive been goin to sea since i was 9 and one of the first lessons i learned was steer clear of all surface bouys. in all but the roughest of seas or in the case that the bouy is poorly marked, e.g dark in colour or lying sub surface the they are plainly visable and easily avoided.

just because we angle doesnt mean that we have a god given right to having the privilage to the sea. its a natural amenity available to all to enjoy and if be the case profit from.many honoust and descent people make their livlyhood from it and it should not be due to the ignorence of others to deprive them of that.

Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:39 pm

lostersssss yumm, yum 8) haul away

Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:59 pm

Lets look at the facts shall we?

1) dtsacs - A well known and recently self confessed lobsterpot/crab potter hater...

2) This event occoured around Bray Head. A frequent haunt of a boat known as 'King Fisher' also known to be owned by dtsacs....

3) 'King Fisher' - A 16.5 ft Samurai Super 'V' manufactured by none other than 'Seahog'....

4) dtsacs - An angler that by all accounts 'dost seem to protest too much'...

Conclusion - I think the facts speak for themselves. The Jury can be in no doubt ast who the culprit is. Feel free to contact the Eircom fishing club and notify them of this madmans actions and console this poor potter before he ends up in the same state as dtsacs's brother :shock:

Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:28 am

You must never have looked at “Miss Marple” or it would have been obvious that I’m innocent, it’s always the person you least expect that does the damage.

That aside I do not believe in taking someone else’s hard earned money, and I don’t think it’s right to empty the pot.

I understand that there’s a lot of boats out there that do mark their pots well, with marker flags and good, coloured floats (this is especially true in Wexford, Cork and up along the West coast) but for some reason people seem to think that an empty plastic milk bottle will suffice here in Dublin & Wicklow and that’s when things get dangerous.

Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:09 am

I'd be disgusted if I saw someone Hauling Pots that arn't theres. :x

Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:29 pm

she wasa club boat taken out solo by atwit with all the sea sence of a bag of taytos and who insistson not wearing alife jacket even though he swimslikeastone. one of the rulesof thisclub is that the boat is not taken out solo in caseof incedent etc. havingawordwiththeguywho runs the club tomorrow cos this guy is well known for this kind of lark

Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:37 am

just out of interest on the potting side of things, if a pot is clearly marked by a bouy etc, are they also marked with the pot owner/boat owners name? are they normally licensed? i would like to find out what the present regulations are that are in place for crab and lobster fishing in the republic as their is a review/new regulations coming in up here in the north and the department are looking for our views as anglers on the subjects in question.

if pots are unmarked, are the contents there for the taking by anyone?

if they are unlicensed pots, should they be lifted and taken in and reported to relevant authorities?

it is a field which i know little about , just want to know more.
i have no problem with crab or lobster fishing as long as it is managed correctly, its when there are too many pots out there it annoys me as i always think to myself how many fish are needlessly killed to bait them if there are too many pots.

Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:52 pm

you need licence for lobsters- i guess for crabs also.
many dont have i reckon.
i fish 2-3 pots now and again and the local fishermen have no problem with this.
what i dont agree with is unlicenced guys fishing sometimes up to 50 pots.
generally bouys aren't marked with names

Pots

Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:44 pm

If that guy was caught lifting pots on the West coast ...well enough said!

The temptation might be there to lift pots but you really are taking youre life in yoiur hands.....and dont think you are not being watched!!

Throw down a pot for the day yourself ....yoiure a tourist in most area`s ...respect to the locals or tyoiur boat might be out of commission for a while!!