Orkney Longliner

Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:31 am

Hello all.
I am new to this boating crack and need some help. A friend of mine has an Orkney Long-liner and can not use it due to ill health so he has given me the use of it.
I have a tone of questions but we will start here.
Even at very low speed the bow is lifting to the point where I cant see over it. Not ideal as the area I am in is littered with pots.
As I said this is not my boat so I cant make any permanent changes but is there some way I can overcome this.
Thanks

Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:47 am

Adjust the trim setting for your outboard Paul, easy done if its a Power Tilt and Trim set up, if not, look at the back where the outboard is mounted, You will see a bar sliding through a bracket, this bracket should have a series of holes either side. Lower the bar to reduce Bow lift, raise it to increase it. Having the boat plane as it were is important for speed and fuel consumption. IE less surface area in contact with the water, faster boat will go. I think Pete off the forum has a longliner, try dropping him a PM to see what way his is set up. HTH.

Re: Orkney Longliner

Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:50 am

coaster wrote:Hello all.
I am new to this boating crack and need some help. A friend of mine has an Orkney Long-liner and can not use it due to ill health so he has given me the use of it.
I have a tone of questions but we will start here.
Even at very low speed the bow is lifting to the point where I cant see over it. Not ideal as the area I am in is littered with pots.
As I said this is not my boat so I cant make any permanent changes but is there some way I can overcome this.
Thanks

hi c.
1 or 2 sacks of sand placed in the bow shoud even things up.
art/

Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:57 am

petekd wrote:Adjust the trim setting for your outboard Paul, easy done if its a Power Tilt and Trim set up, if not, look at the back where the outboard is mounted, You will see a bar sliding through a bracket, this bracket should have a series of holes either side. Lower the bar to reduce Bow lift, raise it to increase it. Having the boat plane as it were is important for speed and fuel consumption. IE less surface area in contact with the water, faster boat will go. I think Pete off the forum has a longliner, try dropping him a PM to see what way his is set up. HTH.

Thanks for that petekd.
I think I know the bar you are talking about. I'll give it a go. I know that less boat in the water is better for speed/fuel consumption but this is chronic. At half throttle you can not see the horizon even when standing.

Re: Orkney Longliner

Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:04 pm

cortaz wrote:
coaster wrote:Thanks

hi c.
1 or 2 sacks of sand placed in the bow should even things up.
art/

Hello cortaz. That's the way he used to deal with but to be honest I don't like adding a lot of weight to the boat. I know I'm a worry wart but if I start to take water I don't want to be trying to get sand bags out of the small door to the bow. Paranoid or what?????

Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:07 pm

It's the trim for sure Coaster. What size engine is on the longliner?

Kev

Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:22 pm

Hello Mac.
Its a 15 hp Yamaha

Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:26 pm

Wow,

Only 15hp. If you adjust the bar near where the engine clamps onto the boat. You will see a few holes for the bar to go through. Try to get as close to the bottom without the engine touching the boat. You should be able to go to the last hole. See if this helps things.

So when are ye taking me out in her? :lol:

Kev

Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:31 pm

Wouldnt have expected that from a small engine in fairness, it must be pointing well up. Feel free to hang me for saying this right, and no offense intended either..... You are dropping the engine down at the back from its towing position etc arent you......? I have a small Yam aux on one of my boats and there is a sliding bracket that fixes into various slots to lift engine up out of way. There are settings on it which dont lift the engine too much at all and it could be missed. Engine must be resting aginst the bar I mentioned earlier. Again, apologies if indeed this is not the case but I'm the fool on an early run out who was convinced he had been sold a dodgy engine after it kept stalling all the time until I realised I was supposed to open a valve on the petrol tanks.....

Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:31 pm

Thanks for that Mac. Would love to have you along as soon as I get to grips with it myself.

Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:03 pm

If you're worried about ballast being a risk to the boat, use drums of water instead of sandbags. I have two in my boat which I fill up as necessary - good weight but neutral once in water.

Longliner

Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:11 pm

Hi Coaster,

I used to have an orkney longliner and they are one of the best seaboats around. They are not designed to plane though, and are described as having a 'displacement' hull and not a 'planing' hull. The problem you have is that its overpowered. The maximum recomended hp for a longliner is 10hp. There should be a little plate near the stern of the boat stating the weight of the boat, max power, weight it can carry etc. But I am sure its max power is 10hp. Just place some weight in the front as already suggested and easy on the throttle. You should still get 7-8 knots out of it.

Caz

Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:21 pm

Thanks for all the info. I'll let ye know how I get on

Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:35 pm

Caz hit the nail on the head. Have a longliner and a 9.9hp on it. the thing u can do which we sometimes do if the sea is choppy is to undo the bung and fill up the keel. Make sure to redo the bung before you take off tho!!! The boat will have a wetter ride if you do that mind you. I reckon slow and steady will win the race!

Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:06 am

As Caz and Liam have said the orkney longliner is not designed for bigger engines. I use an 8hp with mine and it motors along fine, If i'm on my own the bow tends to rise up and it can be difficult to see whats going on unless you stand up. Use the sand bags, keep the head down and don't roll around the place like a five gallon drum of water (pain in the arse in any kind of swell).

Good little boats, not as flashy as alot of the boats on boats on display at the moment but very stable and excellent fishing platforms. Easy peasy to tow and launch too.

Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:24 pm

Cheers again for the replies.
I adjusted the trim but this made little to no difference as it was in the next to last hole anyway.
Put 2 sand bags in the bow and although it did not solve the problem it made a noticeable difference.