how far can i travel in the boats from bullock harbour?

Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:07 am

i do a lot of fishing round the muglins during the summer in the self drive boats from bullock harbour, but ive heard of a wreck several hundred meters from the muglins that i would like to give a go, but i would appreciate some advice from anyone who knows these boats on how far can i go out in these?
cheers

Dublin Bay fishing

Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:03 pm

There is a wreck off the South end of the Muglins but it is very old and very broken up with only a few barrells that were carrying cement if i remember correctly. It is as good as broken ground around the island and not worth the trouble. There is also the wreck of the Guide me II which is off the Island but difficult to locate. it is a good distance towards Bray Head but is not at the position marked on the charts.To be honest, the best fishing in that whole area is around Muglins island on the North side. There is nothing worth going out anywhere else in those boats that will fare you any better. Kiliney beach is pretty bad for fishing too. The South end of the Burford bank might be worth a shot but this should only be attempted during flat calm days and stay well on the North side of the Bouy as the ships leave the bay by this route.

Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:48 pm

cheers thats the wreck i want to fish the hms guide me. i have the gps location of it so im just wondering is it ok in those boats?
cheers

co-ords

Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:54 pm

Where did you get the CO-ords? If its from Irish wrecks online then forget it. It's way out!

Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:42 pm

i do a bit of diving, never dived that wreck tho but i have a dive book that gives the co ords. i seen that wrecks online site and they differ.
here are the co ords i have 50.16.58N 06.02.94W.
is that rite? and if so could i venture out there?
cheers

Guide me

Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:09 am

On a decent day you could certainly head out there in one of those boats but i would stress that it was a decent day. Also you should take serious note of how much juice you have in the tank when they give you the boat. Bringing a bit extra and some extra two stroke oil might not be a bad idea either. It's not really that far but in a boat like that it should never be attempted in all but the very best of weather. Never trust a boat you can't stand up in. Thats what i always say.

Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:06 am

cheers mate