Irelands Eye & Pots

Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:32 pm

I know this is a thorny subject but it really annoyed me the other week.

We launched from Howth and headed towards Irelands Eye on Saturday 17/06/06 to stock up on some Mackerel both for the table and for the freezer.
There were plenty of small boats around and plenty of Mackerel as well, the only sad part was the string of pots that had been put down stretching from the 'Stack' along towards the steps at the back of the island which the ferrys use to bring people ashore. This is normally where most small boats fish and it's now next to impossible to do any drifts close in to the cliff face. It's snaggy enough at this point without having to try and watch out for ropes from these pots.

Can these 'pot' men just drop their gear anywhere they want and to hell with everyone else.

Damien

Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:11 pm

Unfortunately for anglers, the answer is yes, they can set any kind of static gear pretty much wherever they want within reason. (The can't set gear if it would pose a danger to navigation etc)

It's best to steer clear of any such gear as if you lose a trace of feathers, hokkai etc in a strap, net or headline, one of the fishermen is apt to get it stuck in his hand when hauling.

Think of it as first come, first served....

Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:04 pm

Sandman,

You say 'first come, first served', the only problem I have with this is that local clubs and anglers alike have been fishing this spot since boats were invented. We now have a situation where one indivual puts paid to every other persons enjoyment/pastime.

On the 'danger to navigation' point, they don't seem to care too much about other water users, have a look at the area between Howth harbour and Howth Head/Balscadden Bay sometime and you'll know what I mean.

By the way I'm not anti-crabber/lobster pot man, my own brother works a crab boat (but not these areas).

Damien

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:37 am

It's an unfortunate fact that often the best places for anglers to fish are the best places for commercial fishing as well - another example of what I think will be a growing competition for access to the places, not just from the above groups but divers, sailors, jet/water skiers and the like.

None of us can lay claim to an area of the sea based on historical precedent.

But what may happen in the future is that the government may be forced by the EU to declare a strategy to manage the rights of various interest groups as regards what areas are given over for the use of various groups - similar in some ways to the the manner in which land is zoned for commercial or residential development, farming, etc.

In that case, angling needs a representative body that is active and will respond to this challenge. Whether the IFSA will step up to the plate when the time comes remains to be seen, or maybe another organisation will evolve to take on the challenge of responding to the inevitable consultation process that will have to take place.

Unless angling has all its ducks in a row, we could well see the interests of anglers ignored and find ourselved in a position where we are actually excluded for fishing in some places.

Consider that scenario.....

Potter hater

Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:35 am

Don't mind him. He is a Crab potter hater! He does'nt even talk to his brother anymore cos he used to leave his pots all around the front of his house and he could'nt park his car anymore. I see him out cutting potters ropes everywhere and he steals their lobsters. He sends them pictures of their lobsters in the post and holds them for ransom. He even slags off their mothers in dingy bars to any passer by who will listen. Every friday night he can be found completely drunk out of his head lieing in the gutter mumbling about potters and netters and his astranged brother. A sorry site. I hear he used to be in the navy and misses his days when he used to be able to bully potters. Now the shoe is on the other foot and he can't take it... :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:25 pm

You got it in one Luke, I even spent the weekend in Cobh trying to muster up some lost buddies to give me a hand to rid this sea of these evil pots. By the way you know I banished my brother from Dublin and he now lives up your neck of the woods, I'd watch out for his pots in your new found fishing grounds.
Damien
p.s. we got plenty of Conger, Ling and even a large Bullhuss in Cork at the weekend but overall fishing was poor, I'll do a report shortly.