Anchoring, Congers, and General Waffle.

Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:02 pm

Anchoring!

Right, We've been bitten by the Conger Bug! Last night we Anchored Over a Local Reef, Well, When I say over, I mean right on the Edge and Dropped baits down the Side of The Reef. Everything was going Hunky Dory until the Tide Picked up and we started swinging Round on the anchor until we'd moved a good 20 Yds from where we'd Begun. Being this far from the Reefage ment the Bites dried up, Does this mean a Move to another Part of the Reef is advisable at this point?

Congers!

Developed a bit of a Theory last night, Due to the Bites going off so Suddenly when the tide started to Push, Do Congers Feed Better on Slack Tides? Its just every time I see them caught it seems to be near the Bottom of the Tide, Or just as it Slackens? :?

General Waffle

Right Any Further input into Congers, Rough Ground Boat Fishing, Feeding Habits etc would be VERY well received.

I await enlightenment. :lol:

Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:44 pm

No expert on conger, me, but I've read that when the tide is running they stay pretty close to their holes, venturing out to feed when the tide is slackest. hth.

Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:57 pm

Thanks for that Bit Pat. Come on! More Info People!

Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:03 am

I've only fished conger off piers but did find that small dead wrasse make a top bait, even beating mackerel by times.

Take one small fresh dead wrasse, stamp on it (not very technical or elegant, but that gets the juices flowing) bang it on a hook and that's it. Nothing fancy, but it works.

I've noticed that takes can be very tentative and that it's best to let the line completely slack - the conger appear to mouth the wrasse to get the pointy bits lying the right way and want to move back towards their hidey-hole while doing this before taking the bait into their mouth properly. Then, when you figure they've got the bait in their mouth properly, gently draw the line in very slowly - I find the eel will then come towards you. Once you figure it's clear of it's hole or you feel it start to resist, strike. Then the fun starts.....

Use a heavy mono biting trace, as wire tends to mess up their mouth. A good pair of forceps (if you're not a fan of the T-bar) is handy for unhooking, as is a wet towel to try to hold on to them.

You need sharp hooks. I'd have a read of this page:
http://www.worldseafishing.com/news/173 ... 06-20.html

Another thing not to skimp on are swivels. Heavy and best quality you can afford......

Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:09 am

Think I'll stick to using Mackeral Pat. I don't think I could bring myself to use a Wrasse as bait, I like catching them too much... :lol: