Boat Multiplier Problem

Sun May 16, 2004 10:04 pm

When I click my multiplier into free spool the line doesn't come off as easy as it used to. I've tried oiling it but it didn't help so I'm beginning to think it may be a loose bearing or something to do with a tension knob which I don't know very much about. Please Help!

Fri May 21, 2004 12:05 pm

George,

This might not be much help but there might just be something stuck in it or it could maybe just need some cleaning.
If it's a penn, apparantly they come apart quite easily. If your worried about not been able to put it back together properly use a digital camera and take shots as you take it apart, then reverse the order as you re-assemble.

multiplier problem

Fri May 21, 2004 3:25 pm

Hi George

Try Neil MacKellows site for advice on maintaining and repairing multipliers - I think I have it listed in the links section!

FWIW...

Multiplier problems

Mon May 31, 2004 9:58 pm

Dave Lumb's ABU site is a good one plus check out the links page for schematics.
[url]http://ambassadeurs.esoxworld.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.abu-garcia.com/schematics/index.cfm[/url]

Colin

Mon May 31, 2004 10:56 pm

Thanks,
I stripped the reel down and I think I fixed it although now when the levelwind reaches the far left of the spool it stalls and jams for a second and the line runs ahead of it. How can I fix this?

Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:54 am

Maybe that the worm gear is ever-so-slightly damaged, it wouldn't take much of wear/tear to cause that. Strip it out and have a good close look at it. If it is, you need a new one.

Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:57 am

Having said that, I must point out that I am absolutely not an expert and any advice I offer should be taken with the proverbial pinch of salt. :shock:

However, the problem you describe does sound like something that happened to a reel of mine, I got the Reel Doc to sort it for me.

Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:35 pm

What's the worm gear. I find it hard to believe because I've hardly used the thing!

Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:55 am

The worm gear is the cross-cut groovy bar that your levelwind runs on.

Strip it out and have a good close look at the end of it where the levelwind is stalling. If there is any damage: worn, dinged etc, on the grooves then I reckon that's where your problem lies.

What make/model reel is it? Any chance of you getting your hands on another and swapping worms around?

Come to think if it, did you correctly reseat/reassemble the levelwind group when you took it apart? it might be something as simple as that!

Sat Jun 05, 2004 7:26 pm

I have decided to just take the levelwind off for now. When you say put back correctly, surly the levelwind would not run at all as it only jams at the sides. I think the shaft is a bit damaged can I repair it?

Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:17 am

Careful if you're removing the entire levelwind assembly, you might be giving the elements an open door into the innards of your reel :!:

If the shaft is damaged, it's probably easiest and best to replace rather than repair. Suppose you do manage a repair, what's going to be going through your mind when you hook into the fish of a lifetime? :shock:

Spares are usually available for most common brands, but I can't advise you on that cos I don't know what make/model reel you have. Try a quick google to see what you find.

One man to have a word with re spares and repairs is Nigel, the Reel Doctor. (emailto: reelrepairs@lycos.co.uk). Top bloke, great service and prices. I'm sure one or two others on here have heard of him too.

Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:36 pm

Another greet reel website is http://www.mikesreelrepair.com, which I got a recomendation for, Thanks.