Life jacket (buoyancy aid) or an auto gas inflation vest

Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:41 pm

Hi guys, I wonder can you help??

I'm looking at investing in either a full life jacket or a auto gas life jacket. My concerns in relation to the auto gas vest is; are they 100% sure to inflate if you happen to fall in?

I have a floation suit and a flotation smock but in summer they are very warm. I am hoping to do a bit more boat angling in the near future but at present it's for rock hopping I was looking it for as you never know when you might trip and go in.

What newton limit would you recommend for your choice? and is there better makes than others. I'm not worried about the price.

life jacket

Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:47 pm

Hi

I use one on boats and rock hopping too.

If the auto inflate does not work, you have a rip cord to pull that should do the trick. Obviously you can not test them! :D

The only issue with the rip cord (if the auto inflate does not work) is if you get knocked unconscious in a fall or against the boat as you go overboard. I bought two cannisters and tested it with one (the rip cord) - it worked and was a bugger to decompress and stuff back into the sleeves holding it!

AFAIK 90 Newtons is the recommended limit for adults, although I stand to be corrected on this and I don't know what that means in terms of average weight!

HTH...

Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:30 pm

check this out...

dunno what they'll be like but just might do the trick

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home_ni.nsf/pages ... -inflating

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home_ni.nsf/pages ... 9.p.Jacket

Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:32 pm

Auto Gas all the way mate, buoyancy aids are for kayakers etc, people who get them wet all the time. As Kieran says, the Auto ones do have a seperate ripcord you can pull if they dont automatically inflate. This style of jacket is also self-righting, ie if your unconcious or whatever after falling in it will turn you over so your face is out of the water. They are also a helluva lot less bulky than a decent buoyancy aid. Shop around, you can pick an auto gas jacket up for as little as €60.00 in places. There is also a huge variation in price for the refills, I have seen prices ranging from €12.00 to €40.00 for the identical replacement kit. If you do buy an auto-gas, one thing to check each time you use it is that the gas cylinder is properly screwed into its fitting. If it isnt it may not inflate, these can get loose over time and its prob good practice to change the cylinder every so often. HTH.

Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:14 pm

hi norfolk,i bought 3 life jackets in lidel last year one at 39.99 and then one week later 2 at 29.99,as they were reduced not selling,they are now back in stock,i found these jackets as good if not better than some on the market,and will try to buy 2 more this year to put away as spares,hopefully they might reduce them again,they come in all sizes even childrens and have the size and weights on the packets and on the jackets,dezzer..................

Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:41 pm

Thanks lads for the replies, I knew I could count on you's 8)

Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:18 pm

I have been looking at the lifejackets on the Lidl websites, and they have gone up in price at €69.99, can get them in the Marine Chandlers dor same or less, anf if you see them at less can you let me know as i need to pick up a few :lol: .

Cheers
Johnnyf

Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:54 pm

I wouldn't go for any less than 150newtons , i use one rated at 275newtons for work mainly because we tend to be wearing work boots and water proofs, and a bit more bouyancy will do no harm ,expensive though.
the three main firing mechanisms are manual (not much use if your knocked out) ,automatic (fine so long as you remember to make sure jacket is dry before putting away ,i've seen a few inflated ones blowing bags open :lol: ) and hammar (which only works when under water pressure from falling into the water .)
All comes down to how much you want to spend .

Re: life jacket

Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:34 am

kieran wrote:I bought two cannisters and tested it with one (the rip cord) - it worked and was a bugger to decompress and stuff back into the sleeves holding it!

You'll have to test it again now to see if you packed it properly :lol:

Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:44 pm

I agree with Raymond, I would always advise buying at least 150 Newton jacket. Go for an automatic inflation life jacket. Manually inflated jackets(i.e. only with manual inflation), like those on planes are not advised.

Ideally go for one with with Hammar mechanism (firing mechanism activated by hydrostatic action). Hammar mechanism is hydrostatically activated (by water pressure when submerged). The other auto option is fired by disintegration of a paper ring on wetting. These can mis-fire if you get a really bad soaking.

If you can spend the extra and want real peace of mind, buy a twin chamber model. However a single chamber 150N Hammar Mechanism model should be sufficient.

Remember to have your jacket serviced regularly (contact your chandler for details of where you can get the jacket serviced). Doesn't cost a fortune once every two years (ideally annually) and your life could depend on it.

Also take care of your jacket and dry it out before storing. Check that valve is screwed on properly and in contact with firing mechanism before setting out on your journey. Check for signs of corrosion and replace C02 cylinder if in doubt.

Crewsaver are a good line of life jackets. http://www.crewsaver.co.uk/crewsaver/in ... l/main.htm

A general link (commercial)for info on buying life jackets:

http://www.lifejackets.co.uk/Lifejackets-Buying.htm

E.L.

Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:04 pm

i would go for the automatic inflation life jacket.the buoancy aids get in the way wen fishing and the automatic inflation jackets are compact and theres a pull toggle if the automatic fails