Rubby Dubby & Tope

Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:43 pm

I plan to use rubby dubby for tope fishing this summer and already have a drum of fish oil and some fishmeal, I plan to mash this into mackerel but what should I use to bulk out the mixture?
I read about people using bran but where do I buy this? Do people use boxes of cornflakes or is there some other 'bran' (or whatever) mix out there I can use? I'd apprecite the advice as I want to start making this up into blocks now and freeze it down for the summer.

Also, whats the best way to present this for Tope? Lashed to the anchor or over the side shark style? Because Tope are primarily bottom feeders I'm not sure which is more effective?

Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:58 pm

bran is available by the 56lb bag at any farm supply place also available here are gallon tins of cod liver oil

you mention freezing it into blocks, never tried this but the thought occurs that it might not freeze if its full of fish oil.

Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:17 pm

Anyone know where I might get my hands on fish oil in gallon or 5 gallon quantities - preferably mackeral, herring or pilchard oil? Any idea of cost?

Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:21 pm

I mix mashed mackeral with oat bran from Supervalue. I freeze it in blocks in plastic bags then put it in a net bag, usually tied to the anchor. I suspect a tope took off with the whole bag once. My only concern it that the chum block disperses very slowly.

I too would like a cheap source of fish oil

Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:36 pm

somebody once told me that their (must have) additive to rubby dubby is cows blood that they get from a slaughter house. Anybody here of this

Blood

Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:13 pm

For Blues we have used cod liver oil available in gallons at veterinary supplies. That said, we had had as much success with cooking oil when the dubby is made and left soak overnight.

I read somewhere that animal blood is generally frowned upon as an additive (banned by IGFA etc.). I have seen cows blood used. I also saw a guy use the concentrate for firefighting foam, apparently it is made from blood!

rubby dubby

Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:59 pm

Farm suppliers sounds perfect, can you give me the name of any?

We got a drum of fish oil from Killybegs Fisheries last year but the hassle of getting it was enormous, they were very helpful but we had to have it delivered to some place in Kidare which took a couple of weeks. We picked it up from there, they are worth a ring though if you can collect.

Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:34 am

A number of years ago, when the salmon fishing would go poor in Dundalk Bay, a couple of the commercial boys used to target the tope, they'd puncture and sink drums of cow's blood and come back and put a net around the area. :evil: Fortunatly tope numbers have recovered somewhat since that onslaught.

Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:23 pm

Managed to get my hands on some fish oil in Donegal. Details at :

http://www.boat-angling-ireland.com/php ... =3625#3625

Bit of a difference in price from the last lot I got in a tackle shop at ?6 for 250ml.......

Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:41 pm

Try Graeme from L&G tackle for rubby dubby bran