Maiden Voyage

Sat May 13, 2006 6:16 pm

Took delivery of my new Raider 16 Cuddy last Tuesday, and had it the water for the first time today.

Just back from doing 1hr 45min on the new engine - 8.25hrs to go to finish running in.

Did the whole thing single handed - out of the drive, launch, retrieve back in the driveway. I have to say that even though I'm still learning the best way to do things, it was a real doddle.

There was a very heavy chop which tested the boat: lots of flex and creaks compared to the Trophy, but slamming was much less - a more progressive thump rather than feeling like you've just run into a brick wall.

BUT. You really need waders to launch yourself, since you can only get in the boat from the stern.

AND. On the way back, the ratchet strap snapped at the hook. If I hadn't had a rear tie-down, the bare boat would have been bouncing down the road. Reminder: next time use a tie-down at the front as well.

AND. When I came to uncouple the trailer, I found that the jockey wheel handle had fallen off. Fortunately, it fell off at the bottom of the road and a neighbour spotted it.

A few words in the ear of Raider might be in order.

Sat May 13, 2006 11:57 pm

A word of warning Neil , keep a close eye on the bow roller when anchoring as on the second time using mine it fell apart and is now a twisted mess :evil:
But in their defence Raider are sending me a replacemdent one :)
Good luck with the boat

Andy

Sun May 14, 2006 9:38 am

I will, thanks for that. Still in the process of fitting all my gear. Cut a slot to flush mount the VHF, and a cable gland for the GPS and Fishfinder cables. Next the sounder transducer (not fitting the paddle wheel speed sensor, since I have speed on the GPS) and VHF antenna. Trying to find a decent waterproof switch panel at a decent price - some of the pukka ones are the same price as the VHF!

Anyway, I cant go back out until I get the ratchet strap sorted. I have an idea that the trailer 'V' bracket for the bow is a bit high - I'll take a closer look at that.

Another thing to talk to Raider or McAleese Marine is the trim guage, which is allways on full up.

Sun May 14, 2006 3:23 pm

Niel, great to see you get the new boat out, running in is a pain,(one of the bonuses of Etecs ) , there always seems to be a few gremlins to sort out. The winch strap on the front should have a slightly down pull on it, pulling the boat down onto the trailer rollers, as you say a front strap is good but not something you see very often, good luck,
Steve

Raider

Sun May 14, 2006 4:46 pm

Well done Neil. At least during the run-in you'll have the chance to give her a blast!

On the strap, Tie, or better still, braid a short rope around your winch post. Tie, or better still, braid a stainless snap clip to the rope. When the boat is winched up just snap the clip around the "d ring"(there's a picture in Irish Angler) Less messing than using a rope or ratchet on the bow.

We use two small ratchets at either side of the the stern . These are angled slightly towards the bow, as well as holding the stern on the trailer the ratchets are also preventing the boat from moving back.

You won't know yourself when you start towing from venue to venue!

Enjoy,
Jim.

Sun May 14, 2006 5:40 pm

The Trophy had a safety chain going to the bow ring, but there is no obvious means of attachment on the Raider trailer. I shudder the think what might have happened if the rear strap had given way. The thing is, the strap that came down with the boat was long enough to go round the boat twice over, and rated for 1000kg, so I changed for a nice new lighter one that I though at the time was a bit too light - it held though, but I might uprate it anyway.

I'll wire-in the jockey wheel pin, but you would hope that a new boat wouldn't have these problems.

Thanks for all the good wishes, and I'll hope to see some of you at some mark or other in the future