what is the meaning of the various marker bouys ?

Sat May 13, 2006 3:18 am

Having had a nasty run in with a header rope last year I waste a lot of time giving a wide berth to almost anything that floats . I am also wary of what may be strung between them .
The locals seem to navigate the area easily enough . Is there a general code as to what the markers signify ?
I'm thinking of , for example :
2 ft diameter orange bouys up to 1/2 mile apart ;
Black , white or blue plastic containers of some sort out there on their own ;
As above , but with a smaller float about 10 ft behind them ;
Float with black flag

I'm not sure what the bloke waving at me meant either :lol:
Any comments gratefully received . Cheers .

Sat May 20, 2006 10:56 pm

HI blowin,there is a recognised code for navigation buoys which basically states that when entering Port ,or proceeding upstream in a navigable waterway that the port (left) hand side is marked with red buoys of varying shapes while the starboard (right) hand side buoys are green.
Check out a chart of your particular area which should show official navigating buoys only. The orange markers, plastic containers etc are probably marking static fishing gear such as trains of lobster pots. The ones with the black flags are more visible than the plastic cans which are difficult to see in a strong current. You are doing the sensible thing by giving them all a wide berth.
The bloke waving at you probably had an illegal net of some sort shot and attached to the shore by a rope. :lol:

Mon May 22, 2006 12:52 am

hello blowin
Just a suggestion but I have done a training course through the coast guard and think that everybody with a boat would find it use full.
Power Boat Handling level 2.
Your local life boat station or boat club should be able to tell you where you can do this course. If not I may be able to find out for you.
Teaches you everything from boat launching/ handling/ mooring/ knots/ navigation/ tides and more.
Not too expensive and well worth the money.

Tue May 23, 2006 1:36 am

Thanks for that , guys .