Cheap boat wanted - 1st time buyer

Thu May 11, 2006 8:08 pm

Can anyone help me here? I'm looking to buy myself a wee boat, maybe a 14-16 footer, including outboard and trailer. I'm only looking to spend around £3,500/€5,000. Preferably she should have some kind of cabin shelter to protect from any inclement weather conditions.

Does anyone know of anyone selling anything similar, or will I be looking to pay out a lot more for what I want?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Fri May 12, 2006 12:51 am

was chatting to a work colleauge today who said he seen a red bay fastfisher(not 100% sure of the name to be honest!) 16ft with trailer and engine on the internet somewhere last night for 5000euro... might be worth googling?? dont know what the boats like myself but if you try some of the guys on boat angling ireland site they maybe of help to advise you what you should be looking for although im sure you will get plenty more advise from the lads here alone.

Fri May 12, 2006 8:33 am

Shamrock, I have in the past 6 months manged to pick up 2 nice packages on EBay, in particular the last one. Its well worth keeping your eye on it. Managed to pick up a 15 foot Trident Fastfisher with 55hp mariner EL, Yamaha 4HP all electronics etc for £2000. It will usually involve a trip to the UK though but you will definitely save yourself a few quid that way. Check out http://www.apolloduck.ie and http://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk also. Never too much stuff in Ireland but tons available in the UK. For €5000 you will most certainly be able to pick up a nice package around the size you are looking for. As with all boats, the engine should be your primary concern, if bidding without seeing, try to find out as much about the model of engine as possible. Dont make the mistake we made first time in buying a boat with a good engine but no hope of getting spares for should anything go wrong! Best of luck.

Fri May 12, 2006 9:48 am

Keep an I on the Donegal Dealer, usally a few boats in it around that kind of money. Plus you'll be able to have a good look at it as they will not be to far away.