insurance

Mon May 08, 2006 3:33 pm

Signing up for insurance for my new vessel. Just interested to hear who other boaters use. I am getting a quote from Euromarine in Co. Tip band Eagle star are off my list as i would never give them a penney again after my last dealings with them. Anyone got a good quote from anyone in particular?

Mon May 08, 2006 9:10 pm

You could try Morgan Marine Insurance, Tel 01277224440.

They gave me a very competitive quote, speak to a girl called Debbie, she's very helpful.

Tried tons of brokers for my boat, these were the best by a long way.

Mon May 08, 2006 9:35 pm

Aqua Broker in Galway are quite good.

091-773601

Mon May 08, 2006 9:46 pm

Good to hear you're back on the water Luke, I heard Poolbeg YC is gone to bits since the Marina went in, money talks and all that.

Kish bank Tope better look out!!!

insurance

Tue May 09, 2006 12:50 pm

Hi Alby,
good to see you are still around! Yeah back on the water with 'Dirty Fecker III' and hoping to do some serious fishing.

thanks lads for the heads up on the insurance. Will check those guys out for a quote. Just don't touch Eagle Star with a boat hook! :lol: :evil:

Tue May 09, 2006 1:08 pm

Hi all, this might seem like a stoopid question, but what exactly are you getting covered for when you get boat insurance ? Are you getting insured for accidents on the water, or having you boat stolen from home/mooring , or both? Just curious. I asked this question a while back on the forum and was told not to bother with boat insurance if I didn't think I'd need it !! I thought the whole idea of insurance was to cover against this type of uncertainty !

I also contacted a number of marine insurers who wouldn't insure me as the boat has no seats (standing only) ! I have a fishing seat box, would I be covered if I said I sat on it while driving the boat ? :D

Insurance

Tue May 09, 2006 1:40 pm

I have been insured on my first boat. first time round i insured the boat cos i had a brand new 60 hP Mariner. this was with Euromarine insurance in Co. Tipperarry. The next year i went with Eagle star as they were 50 quid cheaper. That year i got a crack in the hull while on the slip and the insurance guy arrived out. they decided it was just down to wear and tear and refused to pay out. Now i am not denying it was an old shetland 535 (1976) but it was well looked after and resurected from decay as anyone who's seen the boat will testify. the point is what the hell was i paying insurance for? They were quite happy to take my money on an old boat but refsed to pay because they think it was old? For obvious reasons on my second boat i did'nt bother with insurance. I was too annoyed at that stage. My new boat however as much as i would like to ignore insurance is simply worth too much money to ignore it. I have to get insurance but i DON'T have to go with Eagle star who used every trick in the book to ignore me.

To answer you question, you are basicly covered if the boat is damaged through accident, theft or transit. You are also covered for the damage to other boats. Marinas insist on insurance. They will use every excuse on the planet not to pay out and usually don't from what i hear but as i've said i have no choice. My main concern is theft and i'd like to see them get around that one :evil:

Tue May 09, 2006 8:04 pm

I used Portcaul insurance in the uk this time, £170 on £14,000
Sean,

Wed May 10, 2006 8:46 am

Does the insurance cover you for injury aboard the boat. I think maybe this is something that you should consider looking into. A genrous offer to a mate for a days fishing could soon turn into a legal nightmare if something nasty happened. Not worth losing the house over.

Wed May 10, 2006 8:58 am

I also used Porthcrawl insurance £400 on 50k
http://www.porthcawl-insurance.co.uk/

Andy

Thu May 25, 2006 8:25 pm

Porthcawl as well - this past couple of years -- found them very competitive and easy to deal with.