Slipways in Co. Cork???

Sun May 07, 2006 10:59 pm

Well, managed to get the wee red boat back from Cumbria in one piece alright, next problem.......Can anyone recommend any decent slipways around Cork please? I have a 4WD so thats not an issue, main problem being my trailer reversing skills are not great (read crap... :D ) and my trailer reversing buddy is in Donegal. So a slip with fairly easy access would be very handy. Was half considering launching off a beach, is that a wise option? All areas around cork considered but somewhere in relatively close proximity to Old Head would be fantastic. Cheers lads, must find a bloody big field to practise the old reversing in alright :lol:

Slipways

Mon May 08, 2006 12:48 pm

Pete,
There is a fine wide slip at Kinsale (there are actually a few in Kinsale). Parking can be a problem during the summer months. Beach launching can be fine if you get the correct beach but I wouldn't bother, slips are a safer bet. There are many choices in and around Cork Harbour depending on where you are travelling from, but from Kinsale the main slip at the commercial pier is best and it can be used at all stages of tide.

Jim.

Mon May 08, 2006 2:28 pm

Cheers Jim.

Re: Slipways in Co. Cork???

Mon May 15, 2006 12:28 am

petekd wrote:I have a 4WD so thats not an issue, main problem being my trailer reversing skills are not great (read crap... :D ) and my trailer reversing buddy is in Donegal. Cheers lads, must find a bloody big field to practise the old reversing in alright :lol:

Pete,

A good friend of mine is cr@p at reversing, so he had a tow ball fitted to the front of his Navara.
Cost about £130 sterling so probably €1000.00 :shock: in Ireland.

Worth a look though.

Colin

Mon May 15, 2006 7:48 am

Never even thought of that to be honest! Great idea! I have managed to make life a whole lot easier for myself by unhitching the boat and lining it up on the slip first before backing straight (sort of :lol: ) in. Takes the pressure off, especially on a busy slip when you may have a bit of an audience...... Gotta have a nice rock to hand though in case the thing decides to make a bid for freedom and roll down itself.