New Charter Boat

Mon May 01, 2006 10:04 pm

I would like to inform everyone of my new charter angling boat, “Triton Explorer” that will be starting to run at the beginning of June out of Ardglass Co Down.

Our summer 06 Angling Charter promo prices will be £280 for a full days angling for up to 12 persons.

Everyone taking a trip on Triton Explorer will also be entered into a free prize draw that will take place in the second week in October.

Prizes will be; 1st Penn Powerstix 20-30lb boat combo with 320 GT2 reel
2nd Penn fleece jacket
Also 5 team deep sea T-shirts and 10 Penn woolly hats

All charters are flexible and can be tailored to suit your needs. Departures from Bangor and Killkeel can also be arranged. Half days are available and departure times will be to suit your requirements.

For more information on the boat/booking etc please visit http://www.tritonexplorer.com or give me a call on 078 2153 7044.

Tue May 02, 2006 4:35 pm

are the prices for a full days angling at £280 not a bit steep?
thats almost double the cost of most other charter boats here in the north?

Tue May 02, 2006 7:50 pm

Thanks for the reply, although I was hoping for something a bit more positive. I haven't been out on any charter boats in the north so I can't comment on on their prices/boats etc etc.

What I will say though is that some boats inevitably will be cheaper as they are probably less expensive to operate,(size does matter!).

I think that £23 a head for a party of twelve is reasonable, there's not many places you can get 8 hours good craic out with your mates for less.

Anyway, thanks for your comments, maybe you'll take a trip out sometime and see if you think it's value for money.

Best regards.

Tue May 02, 2006 8:45 pm

"Triton Explorer" brochure prices for an 8hour fishing trip are~
£360 up to 10 mile radius
£400 for 11 to 20 mile radius
£460 over 20 mile radius
The £280 promotional charter is for this summer.
I wish the owner well but knowing the Northern Ireland sea anglers as I do he shall have to get his clients among good sustainable and consistent fishing in order to ask such prices.
Unfortunately there is now a large number of big fast twin engined pleasure boats on the scene in NI competing for business and demand these prices due to ever increacing fuel costs.
The Bottom Line is, would you pay £460 to charter a boat from Bangor orArdglass for a days fishing?

Tue May 02, 2006 9:04 pm

ardglass skipper, ive sent you a private message.

Tue May 02, 2006 9:04 pm

I think if its a big fast boat which can get over to the likes of Luce Bay for the early summer Tope run or wrecks in the middle of the irish sea after some decent wrecking, Pollock, Codling, Ling, Northern Irish anglers might just be happy enough to pay the money - put it this way id rather throw in a few extra quid and have the chance of hooking into something decent than paying maybe 25-30 quid to go Mackie bashing all day.

I dont know where the skipper intends going but Carlingford and Dundalk bay are only an hour down the coast from Ardglass and the fishing can be excellent.

Lets get a few catch reports before we make a call on whether its value for money or not.

MarieK

Tue May 02, 2006 9:50 pm

Well said mariek....some people just love good aul fashioned moaning :? :lol:

Tue May 02, 2006 9:56 pm

£460 for a trip over 20 Miles...? A trip over 20 Miles radius would mean a hell of a long time steaming, and not that long fishing... Think I may stick to the Missy Moo... or Trigger, or for that matter St. Brendan. :)

Tue May 02, 2006 10:04 pm

Ooops took that all in wrong :oops: ....sry but thats just scandless...im reporting you

Tue May 02, 2006 10:08 pm

How does this compare to prices on Predator ll ?
Got to compare like with like after all :shock:

Andy

Tue May 02, 2006 10:10 pm

The brochure prices that gannet has quoted are correct. It also says that this is a rough guide for a basic charter which includes everything from Dive charters right through to Commercial and Corporate charters. If I were to price every charter per person, per hour, per activity, the brochure would be the size of my back door.

I also wonder why it is unfortunate to have big twin engine boats competing for business, surely this competition is what you want??.
I do not think that any of the charter skippers are demanding high prices, they are also in business after all and the business has to be viable. If the price of fuel does drop in the future I'm sure the savings would be passed down to the clients.

MarieK has got the idea. A big, fast, comfortable boat that can do a bit of travelling and try something different. World Sea Fishing's article on Ardglass will make good reading if anyone's interested.

Tue May 02, 2006 10:14 pm

Right Enough, Heard there was some decent rough ground fishing for Codling down that way...

Tue May 02, 2006 10:27 pm

True...look foward to reading the catch results wish you well in your buisness venture anyway :)

Tue May 02, 2006 10:34 pm

Ardglass Skipper wrote:World Sea Fishing's article on Ardglass will make good reading if anyone's interested.

Pity this article was wrote 10-15 years ago :roll:

Andy

Tue May 02, 2006 10:39 pm

Jezzzzes leave the guy alone..hes just tryin g to earn a living :evil:

ardglass

Tue May 02, 2006 11:00 pm

i have to agree that £23 a head is good value but have you ever tried getting 12 reliable anglers? for the past 5 or 6 years i have run trips only to find that i cant get the numbers - and i aim for 8! so if you want to PM me i am almost always available to make up a crew but to be honest i could not afford a booking the way things were last year it would end up costing me about £100!!!!!!!

Tue May 02, 2006 11:14 pm

Ardglss Skipper - It might be a good idea to taget the Sea Angling Clubs - they could guarantee you the numbers required and with the organisation already in place, they would probably be a safer bet than relying on Joe Bloggs and his 11 mates turning up.

I know that my club have organised a boat outing in Donegal later this year, maybe the east coast could be worth a look next year -I'll keep it in mind for our next meeting.

JUDE

Tue May 02, 2006 11:51 pm

yeah , but with most clubs they dont want to over crowd the boats and try to stick to about 8 anglers for comfortable fishing.
good to see another option appearing on the down coast and offering fishing on new grounds, how long would it generally take to be on the tope grounds around the isle of man from ardglass skip?

Wed May 03, 2006 1:09 pm

From Ardglass the I.O.M grounds are about 25-30 miles, Carlingford 22, Strangford bar 5

From Bangor Luce Bay is about 30miles, Portpatrick and Coreswall point grounds are about 22.

The boat will cruise comfortably at 23 knts, so travelling isn’t really a problem; obviously the tides and weather must suit for the longer trips.

On Prices

The pricing of the boat is not an exact science; every trip will be different depending on, where you want to fish, how long for, how many passengers.

If people don't turn up every effort will be made to still have a trip out, and if the fishing’s good when you are out, I won’t be watching the clock to get back in.

If you think it's too expensive that’s your personal choice, to quote one member of a sea angling club,” If some people got everything for nothing they’d still complain that it was too dear” .

For andydee, I know the article on world sea fishing was written some time ago, I am good friends with the owner of the boat, the point I was trying to make is that the potential is there for Arglass to establish itself as a popular sea angling port, if given a chance!!

Anyway, for those who have shown some interest, thank you.

Jason

Wed May 03, 2006 1:22 pm

PM Kieran and ask him to list your boat in the Charter Boats section, more advertising couldn't hurt. 8)