Tory Charter

Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:21 pm

Hi All,
I found out today that my regular skipper Pat Robinson for the past 7 - 8 years is no longer skippering due to illness. Hopefully Pat makes a full recovery and all is well.

Can anyone recomend a skipper in the Donegal area, fishing Tory (ish) area, who would be up to Pat's standards ? I had my summer's fishing booked with Pat and need to find a skipper for myself and the 7 other lads who will miss the craic and the fishing with Pat.

I'll have a look at the charter pages on this site, but any one who knows skippers who aren't listed, please let me know.

Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:31 pm

you could try the downings mate there are a few skippers there ,there name escapes me at the minute but some of them are very good .micheal mc veigh and a dutch guy sylvester his boat is the bonito ,and sammy scott .all good skippers and all know the ground around tory and lots of other marks.
Last edited by beachcaster on Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:52 pm

michael mcveigh - rosguill
sam scott
trevor ryder now runs bonito - formerly ran by alastair and sylvester(the dutch guy)

i have fished a few years ago around tory with sam, he seems to know it all very well and we had loads of fish leadheading etc
i have never had the chance to get out with michael yet but the reports i get from anglers who have been out have been good
in recent years i have used bonito, have been out with all the skippers past and present and all have found me good fishing, admittadly i aint been at tory with them but we never have asked to go there, mainly fished the limeburner, and the mouth of mulroy, the frenchman, and some wrecks way offshore.all the skippers are well experienced and know their stuff.

Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:08 pm

Was out round Tory with Michael McVeigh last Summer - very good fishing for lots of different species in 1 day - leadheads and light spinning gear for pollock/coalies, different wrasse species on worm close into cliffs, and conger anchored at another mark.

He seems to know the ground well enough plus he can get to countless wrecks fairly quickly and is able to anchor up over most of them.

Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:21 pm

Thanks lads,
Will give a few of them a shout and see if they still have spaces in their calendars ! I know Micheal books out fairly early so will have to look up numbers for the others probably.

Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:18 pm

Sam scott used to run a trawler out of portnablagh and if anyone knows where to fish he does. reasonable boat i think. saw him around horn head a few times last year.

Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:19 pm

Sam scott used to run a trawler out of portnablagh and if anyone knows where to fish he does. reasonable boat i think. saw him around horn head a few times last year.

Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:49 am

been out with sam a few times in the old trawler days he had it fitted with seats! it was like fishing off the number eleven bus!
only thing was he did seem to have the portrush disease (i was fine earlier, honest) because he had a great big boat he thought he could go out in any weather...and he could the point was could you fish in it? at least twice he took us out and fishing was well near impossible, it took both hands just to hold on!

Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:56 pm

theres also a guy fishing out of magheraroarty-much closer to tory. can get you details if you want.

mark.

Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:42 pm

true with sam, had a couple of hairy sails there! but to be fair, if you think it looks dodgy just ask them to take you to fish in or at the mouth of mulroy bay, good fishing can be had there even in the worst of conditions.

Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:54 pm

Got myself sorted, have booked a few trips out of Mullaghmore for a change, and am going to take the Hog out to Pat's marks off Horn Head and Tory myself. I reckon I know most of them, and I hope to discover the rest over the coming months and years.

Cheers everyone for your advice.