Rod and Reel recommendation

Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:39 am

Looking for recommendations for a rod and reel to fish a wreck mark in waters 100-200meters? Also what line and strain? Fishing for usual wreck spieces including ling, pollock , coley etc

Re: Rod and Reel recommendation

Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:41 pm

12/20 lb ugly stick, Tld 20 0r 25 and 30lb braid

Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:55 pm

For wreck fishing in waters ranging from 100-200 meters, consider a sturdy boat rod paired with a high-capacity reel. Opt for a reel with a strong drag system to handle potential larger catches like ling and pollock. A good choice for the rod could be a heavy-duty boat rod in the 20-30 lb class.

For the reel, look into options with a high line capacity, like a conventional or multiplier reel. Ensure it has a reliable drag system to handle the demands of deep-sea wreck fishing.

Regarding line, a braided line with a breaking strain in the range of 50-80 lbs could be suitable. This offers strength for potential larger fish while providing sensitivity for detecting bites in deeper waters.

Remember to tailor your setup based on the specific conditions of the wreck mark and the size of the fish you're targeting. Tight lines!

Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:36 pm

Hard to see beyond a Daiwa Kensaki in 12/20 or 20/30 depending on your choices and the amount of lead you require. People say good things about Ugly Sticks as a budget rod that will do the job.
I was looking for a new reel myself recently (I have Penn 525, 535 and Penn Fathoms in about the same sizes). I felt I needed something new and opted for a Penn Fathom 25N - Suits wrecking in that it has great line capacity and a fast retrieve. The fact that it is narrow means it will not wobble as you reel. I prefer star drag to lever.

Here's what I'd be at... http://www.topfisher.eu/hard-to-bait-it ... ing-trace/