light boat rod.

Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:27 pm

hi all,

i am in the market for a new boat rod. im after something light (around 12lb class) for fishing on calm days with small leads, maybe after flaties, scratching for little fishes, needs to have good bite detection etc. budget of bout 100 euro or 70 stgs. any opinions or advice?? was looking at the mustad viking multi tip rod has anyone any experience with these??

cheers
graeme

Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:03 pm

Fladden Maxximus 8-15lb. Lovely light solid carbon rod.

rod

Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:25 pm

I use a Diawa 8lb class Vulcan X. excellent light rod and ideal for shallow water and light leads. Perfect for bass, Smooth Hound and flatties etc. I also use an ABU 12 Work horse but use that for deeper water and Tope/Ray. Rod classes realy are a reflection of the depth of water you must use them in and the size of the lead required.

it sounds to me that 8 lb is what you really are after. The Vulcan is excellent because the blank slides into the butt instead of the usual spigot joint at the butt most 8 and 12's use. These tend to fail at this joint over time. Most rods of this class use this system and its crap. I still can't understand why the manufacturers keep building rods this way? :roll:
I sought out the Vulcan X in particular because it is not built that way and its a delight to use. I couple it with an ABU 6500 sychro drag and it makes for a classic light set up. really gives fish a chance and you get a genuine fight out of Pollack and Smoothies. Love it and would'nt change it! 8)

Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:18 am

cheers lads.

ye think i might go for the daiwa. have a lot of daiwa gear and none has let me down.
my birthday is coming up soon so i might leave a few magazines and pictures of the vulcan x lying round the house. :lol: just incase!!!