Valentia Island/Portmagee Channel on a Dinghy

Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:34 pm

Hey lads,
I will spend a few days around Valentia Island in Kerry and will bring my dinghy.
Has anyone fished the channel around Valentia Island in a spring tide from a boat? Is that possible or are the currents too strong for smaller boats there?
Would appreciate some help!

Re: Valentia Island/Portmagee Channel on a Dinghy

Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:40 am

No bother. What HP have you got?

Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:23 pm

Many swim it and kayak it

Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:35 am

Thanks for your help, I think someone edited his few days ago? I was still out camping, Valentia is a great place to fish!! We had good conditions and my 6HP engine had no issues with the tides. Bray head is such a great place, we will def. go there again. Lots of pollock and mackerel

Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:14 pm

Great stuff! It's a lovely part of the world. Great to see you got plenty mackerel! :D :D

Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:28 pm

It is indeed! We camped a few nights there and got very lucky with the wind, with exception of the first night.
Only a few Mackerel around Bray Head on small slow Jigs, most of them took the feathers around Beginish Island in the evening hours.

Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:01 pm

What size is your dinghy?

Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:47 pm

It is only 3.3m, just enough for two anglers but still fits in the car, the aluminium floor makes it very stable when standing. I put a Lowrance Elite 9 on it, makes it a little fishing machine!