Selling boat

Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:11 pm

I'm putting my boat up for sale. For any that don't know, it's a Bayliner Trophy 1802 WA with a 115 HP Mercury, VHF, Stereo & fishfinder. It is a dedicated fishing machine and built like a brick ****house - it is an offshore-capable hull after all. Killen Marine's report on the engine was favourable - compression is still at new factory spec. I think I'd prefer something smaller - it's too big for what I need. I've just antifouled it and tidied some odds and ends - still one or two jobs to do but it's ready to go in the water as is. I'm looking for 12k O.N.O.

Not quite sure what I'm going for, but the Samurai packages available are good value.

Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:02 pm

Well, sold the Trophy - eventually. Wasted a lot of time with one guy. I agreed on a price and then he asked for a sea trial. He just wanted to check if everything was ok and he would give me the draft and take the boat away from the slip. After launching and a very quick spin down to Dalkey Island, we came back and I took it back out of the water. He had a mate with him who was the 'expert', who then turned round and told the buyer it was only worth 8k -8.5K tops. They tried to do the good cop/bad cop routine; "I would like to buy it now but he won't let me - let me talk to him - would you take less?". Was I born yesterday? Did my mother raise a complete idiot? I packed up and left without saying another word.

Afterwards I Googled selling a boat: "only offer a sea trial after you have agreed a price and taken a deposit - (non-returnable) - you are not in the business of giving free boat rides". Hindsight (and Google!) is a wonderful thing.

Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:26 pm

Good to hear you got the boat sold Neil..... Let us know what you buy as a replacement.

I can see the sense is taking a deposit before a sea trial as the trial is only to make sure the boat and engine is running well after you've had a look at everything else and agreed the price. Having said that if someone wasn't happy with the sea trial they should be able to get their deposit back. Nice to see you stuck to you guns and didn't fall for the good cop / bad cop routine.

Kev

Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:08 pm

Of course, if the boat didn't perform on the sea-trial then you would have to give back the deposit, but the threat of it would be enough to put off the time-wasters, I think.

Been looking at the Seahog Samurai, which is very good value for money, but also a Raider 16. The Warriors are good boats but overpriced, in my view.

Replacement

Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:39 pm

I love my predator 160

Same size and spec as warrior 165/seahog samurai etc
http://www.douglas-marine.co.uk/PredSite2/predator.htm

But I'd really like a look at a trophy close up
Just not sure I could afford the gas!!!

Shame she had to go, but I hope your happy with your replacement, whatever you decide on

Kev

Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:44 pm

The Predator looks a fine boat; from the pictures it looks better than the Samurai, and Mourne are offering an excellent value package at the moment.

The Trophy is an excellent boat - very strongly built, and that makes it heavy, almost 900 kg. My road is narrow and it is difficult to get in and out. So I moored it at Poolbeg, but to get anywhere meant a 20ml round trip. Fuel consumption was very reasonable given the weight of the boat, but not the 1mile per litre claimed in the specs. My plan was to run the current engine until it expired, saving up to replace it with a new 90 4 stroke. Then I upped and decided to sell and put what money I had into something smaller that I could get out of the drive easier and tow everywhere.

Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:24 pm

Hi Neil , i would highly recommend the Raider 16 for lightness , ease of launch and deck space having just got one . If you want i would give you a run in mine if you were seriously contemplating buying one .

Andy

Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:11 pm

Neil, if youre thinking of getting a samuri phone Arnie at poolside, as the builder he has interesting veiws on them, nice fella to talk to,
Steve

Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:35 pm

I've pretty much decided on a Raider 16: they are supposed to be very strong, yet 100kg lighter than a Warrior/Samurai/Predator. A bit more expensive than the Samurai/Predator, but still better than the overpriced Warrior.

I'm still debating on either a 50 or 60 4stroke Merc. The two engines are actually exactly the same, except for power output. Do I go for the detuned 50, which should be less stressed, or the 60, which would be doing less revs for the same power? They both weigh in at 112Kg, so if I have to have the weight, why not the extra power?.......

Raider 16

Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:06 pm

Neil,
Before you decide on your engine and boat get onto eastbourne motors ithink they are called on http://www.boatsandoutboards.com They have a great deal at the moment with a brand new 75 4 stroke Mercury. The raider 16 is rated up to 75 hp and if you could get it for around the same money you would be running at lower revs for the same output than the other engines thus reducing wear on the engine. This is a fatal error made by many boaters when they underpower a vessel and end up paying for it in the long term. The 16 would be a flyer with the 60 hp on her but with the 75 you are looking at about 40 mph. Not that you will use that speed but when you are using it normally your engine will be only ticking over giving you 20 mph. Here is the add for the 18 cuddy but i am sure he would swap it onto the 16 for you to make a sale...

RAIDER 18 CUDDY, 75/4 Mercury outboard. Prices from £11,500. Please call for other packages or boat only prices

This is without a trailer but the other add you might be refering to on the same site only has a 60 HP and that is for a 16! This is the guy i was origfionally going to buy my boat from. His engine is cheaper as Mercury have now finished doing 75's and have the new 80 hp EFI four strokes. He got the last of last years range of four strokes at a knock down price and so can sell them a bit cheaper. It is well worth a look. If you have any questions give me a ring.

boat show

Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:08 pm

Neil,
This is just up on the Raider website:

Not to be missed:

New event – the Lombard On the Water Boat Show, which will take place at Malahide Marina over the May Bank Holiday weekend (Friday April 28 th – Monday May 1 st).

Raider Boats: 18 Cuddy and Fisherman will presented at Malahide show by new dealer in Ireland John McAleese Marine

Might be worth a look for you in making your decision.

Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:17 am

I've had a number of conversations with John MacAleese re the Raider 16: he thought he wouldn't have a 16 to take down to Malahide, but he now expects them Wed. So far, one of them has my name pencilled in on it!

Raider

Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:46 pm

I would still talk to Eastboune. They were the cheapest deal i could find at the time. I will be going down to the show myself. I was talking to John Nicholson today to arrange to meet up with him to get the name for my boat from him. they were supposed to put it on but never did. You gotta push, push, push to get what you want :wink: