Greenore

Fri May 28, 2021 7:10 pm

Im just thinking of heading out of Greenore for the first time over the weekend for tope and I was looking for any things I might need to know re: launching or any areas I should head to or avoid. Any tips would be much appreciated and even if anyone has caught mackerel as I only have a few frozen.

Re: Greenore

Fri May 28, 2021 7:13 pm

Another question would be, is there a big run on the current like further south where I have to bring 1lb leads.

Fri May 28, 2021 8:31 pm

I suspect it's a bit early for tope, but the best spot is the Hoskyn's Channel, S/SE of the lighthouse - you can see the depths on your electronics. I haven't heard of any macks yet, and we're waiting to get the engine for the boat so haven't been put myself yet. Also, the trawlers in this area have switched to shellfish fishing, dragging the bottoms in the region. My guess is that the traditional tope breeding area has been destroyed, so the tope are probably heading the way of the dogfish and skate in that area.

Fri May 28, 2021 8:34 pm

I forgot to say - while the main shipping channel has a run that would allow you to ski on it, the Hoskyns channel isn't too bad. When the tide's running full tilt, you can hold bottom with 8oz easily and probably 4oz if you have small diameter line.