Catching bass from a boat in North Dublin possible?

Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:35 pm

Hi lads,

I'm looking to find out if anyone here has ever caught a bass from a boat in North Dublin? Has anyone tried locating and targeting them? It would make sense since you can catch them off the beaches right? but I've never heard of anyone catching one from the boat, not even in my sea angling club. What is the story?

Cheers
Gonzo

Re: Catching bass from a boat in North Dublin possible?

Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:01 pm

Hi Gonzo,
I think if you watch some of the Youtube Spearfishing channels (Joe Pike, Daniel Mann) who dive a lot and spear mostly on the Wales/Cornish coastline, you will get a good sense of what the Bass are up to when they're not predating in the surf and shallow rocky areas.
I don't have a boat and am new to Ireland's waters, but my best educated guess would be to swim a live mullet or mackerel off a suspended surface float, or jig with a lead-head jig/fluke down into some deep foul reefy areas (10m-30m).
From the spearing videos, it's evident that the Bass patrol the deep gulleys and pinnacles when they're not shallow.
Hope that helps.

Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:11 pm

Irish bass are pretty much exclusively shallow and coastal. They’re never even caught as bycatch on deep reefs and wrecks like the are in the UK & French Atlantic coasts.

Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:52 pm

Well, there are bass and bream in North Dublin!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51641