Catching bass from a boat in North Dublin possible?

Boat Angling - everything welcome. The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals, and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: JimC

Catching bass from a boat in North Dublin possible?

Postby Gonzo » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:35 pm

Hi lads,

I'm looking to find out if anyone here has ever caught a bass from a boat in North Dublin? Has anyone tried locating and targeting them? It would make sense since you can catch them off the beaches right? but I've never heard of anyone catching one from the boat, not even in my sea angling club. What is the story?

Cheers
Gonzo
2023 shore species: (0)
2023 hours fishing on shore: 0
Gonzo Fishing Ireland
Gonzo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 413 times

Re: Catching bass from a boat in North Dublin possible?

Postby GKC0806 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:01 pm

Hi Gonzo,
I think if you watch some of the Youtube Spearfishing channels (Joe Pike, Daniel Mann) who dive a lot and spear mostly on the Wales/Cornish coastline, you will get a good sense of what the Bass are up to when they're not predating in the surf and shallow rocky areas.
I don't have a boat and am new to Ireland's waters, but my best educated guess would be to swim a live mullet or mackerel off a suspended surface float, or jig with a lead-head jig/fluke down into some deep foul reefy areas (10m-30m).
From the spearing videos, it's evident that the Bass patrol the deep gulleys and pinnacles when they're not shallow.
Hope that helps.

For this message the author GKC0806 has received thanks:
Gonzo (Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:07 pm)
GKC0806
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 11 times

Postby Rob Millard » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:11 pm

Irish bass are pretty much exclusively shallow and coastal. They’re never even caught as bycatch on deep reefs and wrecks like the are in the UK & French Atlantic coasts.
Species 2019: Common Skate, Pollack, Whiting, Coalfish, Cod, Cuckoo Wrasse, Bull Huss, Lsd, Porbeagle Shark, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Thornback Ray, Plaice, Turbot, Ballan Wrasse, Dab, Smoothound, herring, haddock, Blonde Ray, Tope, bass

Species 2018 : Porbeagle Shark, Spurdog, Lsd, Coalfish, Pollack, Ling, Mackerel, Haddock, Red Gurnard, Turbot, Dab, Thornback ray, Homelyn Ray, John Dory, Pouting, Ballan Wrasse, Smoothound, Tope, Bass, Bull Huss, Weaver, Painted Ray, Bluefin Tuna

Species 2017 : Cod, Coalfish, Whiting, Poor Cod, Pollack, Bull Huss, Ling, Pouting, Bass, Flounder, Painted Ray, Lsd, Tope, Ballan Wrasse, Mackerel, Herring, Launce, Haddock, Thornback Ray, Conger, Plaice, Turbot, Grey Gurnard, Red Gurnard, Cuckoo Ray, Tub Gurnard, Dab, Smoothound, black goby, Scad, Cuckoo Wrasse, Megrim

Species 2016 : (32)

Species 2015 : (30)

Species 2014 : (29)

Species 2013 : (34)

For this message the author Rob Millard has received thanks:
Rob Millard
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 223 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby JimC » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:52 pm

Well, there are bass and bream in North Dublin!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51641

For this message the author JimC has received thanks:
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Return to Boat Angling Q&A / Forum