Thinking of buying a small boat for fishing off

Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:09 pm

In the not so distant future I was thinking of buying a small boat with a outboard motor that could have 3 people fishing off it.

I thought about buying a hard dinghy something I could tow behind a car and move myself (I'm pretty strong) if I ever just wanted to go out on my own in it.

Only thing is I don't know much about boats so what would be a good make and quite lightweight and say under 5 grand?

Re: Thinking of buying a small boat for fishing off

Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:32 pm

Nice dory 520 just went up on donedeal for 3500 euro or so and it looks complete package. 1 person would launch and retrieve.

Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:48 pm

Getting your own boat is a great thing but it brings a lot of work as well. That's not just about working on the boat. Being the skipper and having to get yourself and your buddies out and back safely AND catch fish can be a frustrating and most rewarding venture.

Choosing a boat comes down to a compromise:

You'll get some thoughts about buying a boat here: http://www.topfisher.eu/first-run-fishing-new-boat/

Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:45 pm

Some great tips there from Jim and make sure you get at least 2 weather reports like magic seaweed and windy.com and have all your safety gear on board.

Tue Aug 25, 2020 2:12 am

I was all set to buy a boat this year, spent a few weekends out in chartered boats testing out gear etc, my attitude changed 5 weeks ago when I bumped into a fella trying to launch his boat, I asked him if he wanted a hand and after he ask me to join him for the day. I said why not and got to see how its all done.

The time and knowledge required is more significant than I thought.I would suggest going out with a seasoned person first if you can.