Lough Swilly

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:03 am

A question for you boys in the know. How does the Lough fish over the last couple of years? Being based on the coast of Co. Meath it seems from looking at the map that it is pretty much a straight run to tow my boat up to Lough Swilly. Just wondering is it worthwhile. What are the slips like and what the situation is like about launching tide times etc. Also Being on the North West coast i assume that Westerly winds are bad news. What are decent wind conditions on the lough for that part of the country. I would assume you would be better off with an Easterly? :?

Re: Lough Swilly

Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:53 pm

The Dirty Fecker wrote: I would assume you would be better off with an Easterly? :?

Gawd no. Fishing is poor with an Easterly.

But if you're towing all the way up here, you might well consider going to Port Na Blagh (good slip, launch at any stage of the tide, can be a bit busy at summer weekends) and fishing Sheephaven Bay. I'd be more than happy to share info with you.

Re: Lough Swilly

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:26 am

Downins peir across the bay from port na blagh might be worth a look...very busy in the holiday season though

Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:56 pm

their was an article on the swilly in a recent 'irish angler' with some good info in it.

thanks

Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:07 pm

thanks lads. good info. i do not want to tow when i don't know what to expect when i get to the slip... Are their a good choice of slips? Are they in good repair? Whats the best bet? I would have thought a west wind would blow the lough up something terrible. Just like an Easterly does on the East coast? :?
Last edited by The Dirty Fecker on Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: thanks

Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:09 pm

Port na blagh and downings peir or the best ive seen in northwest donegal

Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:18 pm

i think most of the guys if launching use buncrana slip, although its for the ferrry nut just launch straight after it departs and have the slip clear again by the time it gets back and i cant imagine too many problems..! :wink:

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:59 pm

Buncrana is the slipway used on the eastern shore of Swilly and Rathmullan on the western side. Dirty Fecker beware Buncrana in a north west or northerly as its fairly exposed. Aside from that its a pretty good slip. Send us a pm if your coming up and we'll set you straight.

Pete

Thu May 25, 2006 8:28 pm

see BAI site for upcoming swilly meet. Its a good spot is the Swilly, like everywhere else though I suppose some days better than others. Choice of slips and boat can be left in Fahan marina for a few nights at reasnable costs to avoid daily launching.