Suggestions for Charter Boat Commutable from Dublin?

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:53 am

Hi Guys,
Planning on trying to organise a deep sea fishing trip for a few friends over the next few weeks.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to where to look to?
We would be travelling from Dublin & probably not staying overnight so
ideally somewhere within 1 - 1.5 hrs drive or less if possible.

Had a couple of trips out of Howth last year with nothing but Mackeral so looking for something a bit more substantial this time...

Regards,
Patrick.

commutable

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:28 am

Hi

Tope season around Carlingford should be starting soon enough and Dundalk is only 40 minutes way now with the new road and bypass?

Heading south, you will have to go to Wexford or Waterford (2 hrs+)?

Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:41 pm

Cheers Kieran,
I'll do some research on Carlingford & see what I can turn up.

Rgds,
Patrick.

charter

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:36 pm

The Tope season contrary to opinion of magazines does not start until June on the East coast. When it hits, it hits. For a couple of weeks the action can be hectic and the Specimens very big. Usually the 2nd -3rd week of the month. As for Carlingford don't get fooled the 'current' irsh record hails from Carlingford and was caught in 1964. it was also only 64 lb which has been smashed a million times over (anglers dont kill and haul home Tope). Another fact people miss is that when a boat catch is made it is the home port of the boat that made the catch that gos down as being the location of the record when in reality this is extreamely misleading. Carlingford is over rated both for Tope and Bass. When you hear of good Bass catches in Irish angler it is really Dundalk bay they are talking about. Anglers just like to be misleading. Carlingford is no better for Tope Than the banks off Dublin or Wicklow. That whole stretch of coast is patrolled by them over June - July while they give birth to their pups and feed up on dabs and mackerel till they move off. A much better place for you to go is Kilmore Key in Co. Wexford where the fishing is outstanding and an excellent days fishing is certain. There are many charters running out of there during the summer which is a testiment to the quality of the venue itself.

Stranagford?

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:20 pm

Hi

Myself I am always mixing up Strangford Lough and Carlingford - I stand to be corrected bit I think the record fish came from Strangford and it has been broken as The Durty Fecker reports umpteen times by anglers who have more respect for a tope than to kill a big one to claim a damn medal.

Unofficially you need a tope around the 85 lb mark to be in with a shout of the 'real' record. A fish around 84 lbs was caught and released by a reputable angler in recent years somewhere outside Dunmore East / Kilmore Quay. It is more than rumoured that a fish that came close to 100 lbs was caught and released of West Scotland two summers ago.

Carlingford Lough gets a run of smaller male pack fish and unless I am again mistaken (and dammit I could be) it does come earlier in the year, although not as early as the Shannon etc. Strangford I know nowt about!

FWIW...

On the subject of commuting, look at the boats in Antrim / Down as they given the roads might be as close to you as any in Waterford...

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:25 pm

well if it was me, id be heading straight for kilmore quay!!!
id nearly drive to there to fish the boat before i went to somewhere on my home patch!!
variety of species possible is excellent.

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:51 pm

Has to be Kilmore Quay alright.

If you leave Dublin at 0630hrs you will reach Wexford just after 0800hrs where you can have breakfast along the quays and still make it to Kilmore before 1000hrs when all the charter boats start heading off. They normally return between 1600hrs & 1700hrs, just in time for a bit of dinner in Keogh's before heading home. Have done this trip on average 10-12 times a year and am heading there this weekend (weather permitting) for the start of this years fishing trips.
The only problem with Kilmore is finding an available boat (and there are plenty there), they are normally booked out from the year before, your best bet is a midweek trip. I have some mobile numbers of skippers there if you want them drop me a mail.

Damien

Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:47 am

Thanks for the excellent info guys.
Have e-mailed a skipper in Carlingford to see what's on offer, I'll post the results if & when I hear from him.

I'll also check out skippers in Antrim/Down to see if there is anything decent on offer.

Kilmore Quay sounds fantastic although the journey sounds a bit daunting as my sense of direction is pretty shameful.

Damien - I'll be in touch re: contact details for those skippers & best of luck for your trip this weekend!

Rgds,
Patrick

Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:02 am

kilmore is easy from dublin, get yourself onto the likes of the aa website or google maps and they will give you step by step directions and stuff.

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:16 am

Cheers Guys.
Thinking of heading to Carlingford first & maybe Kilmore Quay in May/June.

Got a response from a skipper in Carlingford:

Species caught this time of the year would be Pollack,Wrasse,codling,coalfish some flaties, you can use jigs,flowing traces, lures,jelly worms.which are available on the boat
you should bring some ragworm,squid,crab if u can get it,

To hire the boat for the day is €380.00 hire of rod and reel €7.50.

Just need to see if he has any weekend dates free in April & go from there.

Thanks again,
Patrick.

Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:39 am

Booked the boat for 22/04/2006.

Anybody got any suggestions re: tackle/tactics for Carlingford lough at this time of year?

Thanks in advance,
Patrick.

charters

Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:02 pm

Hi

There is a new charter about to start up this year based in MALAHIDE!!!

Skipper was just on to me, he has taken John Johnstone's boat the MV Lady Clare east and will be offering wreck and reef fishing for locals... as far as I know he will also be offering 4 hour evening trips during the week in summer...

FWIW

Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:21 pm

There's another guy works out of Malahide during the Winter.
Tried to book with him last year but had awful trouble with him not returning calls & changing dates etc. so just gave up...

Hopefully the new guy will be on the ball, there's definitely the business for it anyway..

Thanks,
Patrick.

Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:22 pm

theres also one starting out of ardglass but it seems pricey a bit.
[url]http://www.tritonexplorer.com[/url]