Small multiplier for light boat fishing

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:07 pm

I have an abu suveran 12-20lb and I'm looking for a reel to go with it before the boat season really kicks off. I have a couple of penn mags but they are filled with mono for the shore and I want something to put braid on and use exclusively for the boat. I'm thinking along the lines of the Avet's or the new Shimano's. Any experience or advice would be appreciated, cheers.

Pete

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:28 pm

i see there is a new penn international 975 leverdrag out now maybe worth a go ?

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:36 pm

what about an abu 5500 mate filled with braid it would be a lovely light combo for anything.

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:41 pm

some of the above reels may have a stronger frame etc than the abus though incase you did run into a lot of bigger fish on it?
if going for the abu range i would opt for a larger model than the 5500, i know a guy who used a abu 5500 size one last year for shadding etc on a light outfit and the reel aint worked right since, he says that there is a slight twist in it??

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:56 pm

try a ABU 6600LD.

i've got 2 and they perform really well.

Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:02 pm

i use an old ambassador 5000 on a light surface popper rod for shadding and have had coalies to 13 1/2lds, cod to 10lb and pollock to just under 12 lbs on it without much trouble. reels been used in this manner for 3 years and is still perfect.
i would agree with the rest as regards reel size as i feel something in the 7000 range gives you more options as regards fishing. i have 2 7000's and an sl30 which i use for all my wreck drift fishing and find them perfect with a 12-20lb rod and 20 lb braid

Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:43 pm

Shimano Charter 2000 leverdrag and level wind, will cope with almost anything you throw at it.

Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:48 pm

That's a beautiful rod you've got there pete, it's been on my wish-list for a while now.

My thinking on a reel to match it would be an Avet SX, Shimano TLD5 or Shimano TLD10 for lighter lines (10-14 lb b/s braid) to fish clean, sandy ground on the drift, or an ABU Morrum SX7700CL with 20 lb braid for wrecking/Tope fishing. Or, as lumpy says, any 7000 sized reel.

I've seen that rod with a Morrum loaded with 30lb braid handle a double shot of very frisky and annoyed Tope beautifully. 70+ lbs of Tope at the one time, when one of them got tired the other took over the fight when the first rested, then viceversa.

Class action, that was. :D

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:51 pm

Why not look at the Okuma range. The titus 10 or 15 are just as good or better than Shimano TLD - I have both, but the Okumas are cheaper. Better off with a Titus gold 15 (a really solid reel) than the Penn international lever drag

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:20 pm

what is better with the okuma's than the the penn internationals? never used okuma multipliers before as i heard mixed reports on them, just interested to know.
i always recommend penns multipliers as they are all i now use on the boat and are easily maintained and always reliable (the senators and internationals anyhow)
ive seen and heard tell of okuma, daiwa, abu and shimano reels giving guys problems before while out on trips but i aint righting them all off as bad reels, perhaps not properly maintained or something else., never heard of many reports of penns giving problems, and seen them handle some really big fish no problem while others have failed.

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:43 pm

hi pete there simply is no question if you have the few bob it has to be the AVET SX...i also have a few suverans in 12/20 and 20/30 range and reels in the penn int ld and a few in the shimano range but my fave is the sx it would give the boss mag and shimano trini a good run but for half the price,,a major factor with reels for light rods is size and weight,get it wrong and you will ruin the balance of your rod...the sx is a 6500 sized reel so i use it on my 6lb class rod too and the drag is prob smoother than the penn int ld and thats a hard one to beat.....and dont worry even if you hooked into a huge tope on this reel you can relax knowing it will NOT let you down...... :wink:

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:09 pm

Cheers for all the advice lads. I like the reliability of the penns but they might be a bit big for the suveran, its really slim and a big reel would unbalance it. Same time I'd be cautious of using the abu range for the rough and tumble of boat fishing, although Lumpy seems to have had no probs. Not sure which model to go for now :? .

Pete

Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:59 am

well if you can, try before you buy! thats the best advise i could give you! :wink:

Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:16 pm

Good idea to try before you buy. I can let you have a lend of an SX, TLD5 or 10, or a Morrum if you're up this end of the county anytime pete.

No fear of the ABU Morrum twisting it's frame, you'll know why when you see it. Mind you, they don't make them anymore so it's an ebay job if you want one. (I have 3, and I ain't selling! :D )

Then again, I've just thought of the TLD15. That might suit you.

Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:42 pm

Tanglerat,
I might take you up on that. Any sign of you organising a boat trip out of Port na Blagh for us in order to test them properly :lol: ?

Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:46 pm

Any sign of you organising a boat trip out of Port na Blagh for us in order to test them properly ?

Ive got a 7000 and lots of lovely jelly things I really really really really really really really really need to test as well if you do... :lol:

Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:17 pm

Pete,
Just some random thoughts to confuse the issue still further:
1. If you take a 6000/7000 type reel, fill it with 50lb braid, lock the drag down tight, and use it on a 50lb class rod to winch in 30 or 50lb of fish at a time it probably wont survive 1/2 a trip!!
2. Avets and Daiwa Saltiga, beautifully engineered , horrendously expensive, and dont have a level-wind [ more on that later].
3. TLD 5 and Policansky 2B, no longer available new, and no level-wind.
4. On the subject of level-winds, having fished for some 40 odd years using dacron, stainless steel wire, and mono lines on reels without level- wind I must be getting soft in my old age, as I rarely fish without them now.
5. My own suggestion would be a Shimano Charter Special 1000 [ similar in size to the TLD5 but Tanglerat would say the bearings are suspect] which is still available new.
6. My personal outfit is a 15lb Ugly Stik [of US origin, and appears to be a 7' heavy spinning rod rather than a boat rod] coupled with an ABU 4600 [ a narrow spool US version of the 5000], or an ABU 6500 C3 2 speed [ which I found on Ebay Australia], loaded with 20 lb Whiplash.

Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:16 pm

Boyd A wrote:5. My own suggestion would be a Shimano Charter Special 1000 .................... but Tanglerat would say the bearings are suspect

Yup, wish I could remember now who it was that told me that. :? And was it bearings or the gears :? hmmm, must find that out.

Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:21 pm

petekd wrote:
Any sign of you organising a boat trip out of Port na Blagh for us in order to test them properly ?

Ive got a 7000 and lots of lovely jelly things I really really really really really really really really need to test as well if you do... :lol:

Anyone else interested enough to make a go of a day out? We'll book Pat and head for the sands for a species hunt. h rocks, sandman, jgf and phenwick mist strike me as being likely pressgangs, they've all been up this way before.

How about it lads? Max of 7 or 8 anglers on the boat to give us a bit of elbow room, sometime in the early summer??

Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:27 am

if i recall correctly a year or two ago the rig that lifted most species ,sand or rough ground in the downings festival was the mustad shrimp rig, , just incase its any help...
ive had cod etc to near double figure on them with no bait added, they seem to work for everything, perhaps a natural feed source immitation??