Reel dilemma

Boat Angling - everything welcome. The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals, and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: JimC

Reel dilemma

Postby Go Big or Go Home » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:47 pm

Got a penn squad boat rod on sale, ye probably seen them Advetised. Got it for Mack's, huss, conger type work.

Can these take a FS and a multiplier? If so then how can one tell? The rings or something?

Now to the dilemma;
Option1:Cheap (80e) multiplyier with level wind like the warefare? As I dont use multipliers.
Option2:Good second hand multiplier like the 515.
Option3: a FS because I can use it for the shore rods and casting from the boat? Some thing like a penn battle 2.

The only appeal to me with the multiplier is the ability to scan the water coloum at ease.
Catch, release, reminisce & repeat

2020:Bass, Sea Trout, Pollock, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Dab, Conger, and the elusive LSD.
Go Big or Go Home
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 65 times

Re: Reel dilemma

Postby Chris T » Thu May 21, 2020 12:40 pm

Most rods will take both, it’s really only an issue with casting rods as the smaller the bottom ring the more resistance on your cast with a FS. Doesn’t matter when your dropping straight down. Having only started boat fishing last year I got a warfare with LW but the LW is easy to break as any pulling such as getting stuck in the rocks can break the cog for the LW. This happened to me and although I replaced it I’ve gone fir a FS this year. Splashed out on a spinfisher long cast 6500. Haven’t used it yet but feeling more confident about it as the breakdown of the warfare lost me a good conger last year in hols!!

If you’re looking to use for shore as well it’s a good choice!! That or a surf blaster (good bit cheaper)

Good luck!
Chris T
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 33 times

Re: Reel dilemma

Postby Go Big or Go Home » Fri May 22, 2020 11:48 pm

Ya ended up with a FS penn in the end.
Catch, release, reminisce & repeat

2020:Bass, Sea Trout, Pollock, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Dab, Conger, and the elusive LSD.
Go Big or Go Home
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 65 times

Return to Boat Angling Q&A / Forum