Switch to full style
Boat Angling - everything welcome. The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals, and we accept no responsibility or liability.
Post a reply

Anchor weight Cork Harbour

Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:17 pm

Hi all. I have recently purchased my first boat and for the last few months have been on this excellent forum picking up valuable advise on all things angling. I am still quite nervous on the water so have barely ventured beyond the Roches Point lighthouse. Hoping that the weather will be a bit kinder next year!

I have a 10kg Danforth anchor which I find quite heavy when hauling off the bottom. My question is would I be better off with a lighter anchor for around the harbour(and possibly a few miles beyond in time)? Also is it possible to anchor on the harbour rock or any rocky bottom without the risk of the anchor getting stuck? I am worried that I might get into trouble! Thanks in advance. Boat is a Jeanneau Merry Fisher 635

Re: Anchor weight Cork Harbour

Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:13 pm

Hi,your 10 kg anchor should be fine around the harbour with a few fathom of chain.When hauling the anchor in the strong tide be sure and steam ahead slowly while hauling and knock her out of gear when the anchor gets free of the bottom.The harbour rock is grand to anchor on if you use this method.If it feels stuck take a turn and steam ahead and it should free itself.Fished the rock for 30 years and never lost an anchor!The wester side near the green bouy can be more foul.
Carry a spare anchor always,even a small folding one just for peace of mind.Outside the harbour in the deeper water you can employ the "ring and bouy" method there are plenty of videos online.This can take a few goes to master.
Congrats on your new boat and you are right to be cautious.Carry a spare drum of diesel always,flares and a gallon of fresh water.Tools that fit the nuts on the engine!Spare belts and oil too.
My father had a saying "if you think you should turn back don't wait to think it again!There's no shame in coming home with nothing,there's always tomorrow!"
If you need any more info on the harbour I will try to help if you need it
Safe boating!

Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:57 pm

Great advice Fastnet thanks. I will be investing in a spare anchor next year! And wise advise from your Father. At the moment it doesn't take much for me to turn back!

Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:15 pm

10Kg is a bit of a brute! Especially when combined with chain!
That said, I use a 7kg CQR style anchor with a short but heavy chain on my 175. I would usually retrieve this using a buoy except when in shallow water.
The run of tide in the harbour can be strong so you need a decent anchor and chain setup to ensure you'll hold when required. Even outside the harbour a good setup is necessary. Always be sure that your anchor is "rigged to trip" so you stand a better chance of pulling it out should you get stuck.
Losing an anchor is a rare occurrence. The last one I lost was unlucky as it dragged into a wreck in 400'. we did get great fishing though :) That was a good few years back!
Post a reply