Braid - what brand are we using

Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:13 am

Fellas,
I use Dynon and have been doing so for the past 6 years. I've found it perfect and never had any problems with it. Is anybody using any other brands that are good or offer particular advantages?

Pete

Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:26 am

I have 38lb cormoraid loaded onto a FS reel, it was my first foray into using braid and was therefore erring on the cheap side, about €20 or so for 300m. Havent had any problems with it thus far but in fairness havent used it too much. Main intention is to use it on the carp rod leadheading for pollack and the like.

Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:56 am

berkley spiderwire stealth. been using this for 2 years and the origional spiderwire for the time before that. use it for all my boat fishing, have 20lb on my 7000 and 5000 for light stuff and 50lb on my TLD 20 for heavier. never had an ounce of trouble with it. bit detection and diamater is perfect. recently spooled another 7000 with dynon 3000, seems a nice soft braid, alot limber than spiderwire but havnt fished extensively with it so the jury's still out on that one.

Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:29 pm

I use Dyneema from UK hooks - it's cheap

http://www.uk-hooks.com/index.asp

Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:40 pm

I use Power Pro and have been using it for lure fishing for about 6 years now. Excellent braid. I tend to stay away from spiderwire as it is coated and thicker. This limits casting with very light lures which I use all the time for Bass.

Kev

Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:43 pm

got some power pro in 20 and 50 coming myself but presently using penn dynabraid tidecutter50 and 80, spiderwire stealth 30, ron thompson dynacable 30 and dynon 3000 xf 65.all do the jobs fine.

Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:33 pm

used penn dynabraid, the weave became very loose and fluffy after a while, dynon mct, a lovely braid but seemed to snap of easily when snagged,lost loads because of this, have just bought 500m of dyneema but not used it yet,
Steve

Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:48 pm

Only one I've used for years now is Berkley Fireline, smoke/grey colour, 20 lb test. Covers about 95%of my boat fishing. It's actually a lot stronger than 20 lb, berkley apparently delibertly underrated it.

Last couple of years I've been playing about with Shimano TLD 5s and 10s, and an Avet SX and I've used 14 lb Fireline on those.

I'd recommend the stuff to anyone. 8)

Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:36 am

I switched to braid last year and have been using Power Pro and Scientific Anglers since. Scientific anglers is far and away lowest diameter for the BS (30lb) - using it on the egg beater, power pro on the Baitcasters. Also tried out Shakespeare - cheaper stuff - diameter is pretty poor in comparison to the other 2 (20lb BS was thicker than Power pro 30lb), and it breaks very easily - any abrasion at all and it snaps - was casting plugs for pike and lost a few - nothing wrong with the rod eyes or anything - maybe just a bad batch of line, but it's a case of the old adage "You get what you pay for" . Would definitely recommend Power pro and Scientific Anglers (SA was pretty expensive) .

Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:00 pm

Based on what everybodies saying I'll probably not change from the Dynon, its been reliable for me although Steve what your saying about it snapping a good deal is interesting. Powerpro seems very popular too, expensive though.

Pete