fishing boat

Boat Angling - everything welcome. The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals, and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: JimC

fishing boat

Postby Onaneor » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:57 pm

What basic equipment do i need for a small fishing boat? I'm planning on buying a small fishing boat this weekend for fishing around the gower peninsula, and would like to know what are the basic bits of kit i need to get started? The boat itself is 15ft in length and comes with a 50hp outboard engine and trailer. Everything else i'm going to need to buy seperatly, except for the fishing tackle which i already own. Many thanks.
Onaneor
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: fishing boat

Postby fastnet » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:38 pm

Look at the RNLI website for safety advice and gear needed
fastnet
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 26 times

Postby stevecrow74 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:53 pm

fastnet wrote:Look at the RNLI website for safety advice and gear needed

I’ll second that, a basic knowledge of the area you plan to fish i.e. how tides and weather can affect the area you plan to fish and be within safe limits if a quick retreat is required, an auxiliary engine and oars, a life jacket is required by law.
Emergency numbers if anything goes wrong, never think it won’t happen, and always let someone know where your going and when you plan to be back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[url=http://galwaybuccaneerssac.com/]Galway Buccaneers SAC[/url]
[i][color=red]St Juniper once said; 'By his loins shall ye know him, and by the length of his rod shall he be measured.'[/i]
stevecrow74
Scomber Doorman

Have thanks: 58 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby dezzer » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:28 pm

As above ,but if you are new to boat angling try get out with someone with experience,a few things that come to mind,anchor and enough rope,life jackets a must have,flares auxilliary engine,vhf radio,know your weather and tides,let someone know where you are going and when coming back,enough petrol and a well maintained engine but to name a few ,hope some of this helps..
dezzer
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 39 times

Postby chuckaroo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:25 pm

Yip, safety first.
Auxiliary engine top of the list, a must. Then life jackets and everything else thereafter..
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Postby johnwest » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:47 pm

chuckaroo wrote:Yip, safety first.
Auxiliary engine top of the list, a must. Then life jackets and everything else thereafter..

Standby for some alternative views; life jackets are compulsory on small boats in the Republic of Ireland as far as I know whereas aux. engines, while thoroughly advisable, are not. Not sure about Wales which I guess is where Dronten is?
2013 species; 31

2014 species; 27

2015 species; 28

2016 species; 32

2017 species;28

2018 species; 33

2019 species; ballan wrasse,blonde ray, coalfish, cod, cuckoo wrasse, dab, dogfish, flounder, goldsinny wrasse, ling, mackerel, plaice, pollack, poorcod, pouting, scad, sea scorpion, spotty ray, spurdog, thornback, tub gurnard, turbot, whiting.
johnwest
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 1299 times

Return to Boat Angling Q&A / Forum