Rockabill

Boat Angling - everything welcome. The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals, and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: JimC

Rockabill

Postby eoghanb » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:28 am

Anyone had much luck bait fishing around the rock ,all I’ve had is dogs no matter what bait I use ,any hints or tips for close to the rock or over clean ground near it?
eoghanb
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 336 times

Re: Rockabill

Postby hush1 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:29 am

I had a 96cm smoothhound while fishing for flats in May!
hush1
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 19 times

Postby Deleted User 3488 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:36 pm

eoghanb wrote:Anyone had much luck bait fishing around the rock ,all I’ve had is dogs no matter what bait I use ,any hints or tips for close to the rock or over clean ground near it?

Have had huss to 12lb and tope to 35lb on the anchor about 800 metres south of the rockabill.
head out to the rock and travel 1 k south of it then head east while looking back at the rock. just as the little cove at the back of the rock comes into view stop and anchor up..the tidal run is very storng on big tides so best fished either 2 hrs up and 2 hrs down or 2 hrs either side of low water.

best of luck
Deleted User 3488

Postby 5turbo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:55 pm

As Monkey wrasse said, there is a drop off just south of the rock, you should get some results in that general region. . .
5turbo
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby eoghanb » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:21 pm

MONKEYwrasse wrote:
eoghanb wrote:Anyone had much luck bait fishing around the rock ,all I’ve had is dogs no matter what bait I use ,any hints or tips for close to the rock or over clean ground near it?

Have had huss to 12lb and tope to 35lb on the anchor about 800 metres south of the rockabill.
head out to the rock and travel 1 k south of it then head east while looking back at the rock. just as the little cove at the back of the rock comes into view stop and anchor up..the tidal run is very storng on big tides so best fished either 2 hrs up and 2 hrs down or 2 hrs either side of low water.

best of luck

Cheers for the reply I’ll give it a go next time I get out
eoghanb
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 336 times

Return to Boat Angling Q&A / Forum