Rockabill

Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:28 am

Anyone had much luck bait fishing around the rock ,all I’ve had is dogs no matter what bait I use ,any hints or tips for close to the rock or over clean ground near it?

Re: Rockabill

Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:29 am

I had a 96cm smoothhound while fishing for flats in May!

Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:36 pm

eoghanb wrote:Anyone had much luck bait fishing around the rock ,all I’ve had is dogs no matter what bait I use ,any hints or tips for close to the rock or over clean ground near it?

Have had huss to 12lb and tope to 35lb on the anchor about 800 metres south of the rockabill.
head out to the rock and travel 1 k south of it then head east while looking back at the rock. just as the little cove at the back of the rock comes into view stop and anchor up..the tidal run is very storng on big tides so best fished either 2 hrs up and 2 hrs down or 2 hrs either side of low water.

best of luck

Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:55 pm

As Monkey wrasse said, there is a drop off just south of the rock, you should get some results in that general region. . .

Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:21 pm

MONKEYwrasse wrote:
eoghanb wrote:Anyone had much luck bait fishing around the rock ,all I’ve had is dogs no matter what bait I use ,any hints or tips for close to the rock or over clean ground near it?

Have had huss to 12lb and tope to 35lb on the anchor about 800 metres south of the rockabill.
head out to the rock and travel 1 k south of it then head east while looking back at the rock. just as the little cove at the back of the rock comes into view stop and anchor up..the tidal run is very storng on big tides so best fished either 2 hrs up and 2 hrs down or 2 hrs either side of low water.

best of luck

Cheers for the reply I’ll give it a go next time I get out