Switch to full style
Boat Angling - everything welcome. The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals, and we accept no responsibility or liability.
Post a reply

2.5m Dinghy + 4HP Outboard help?

Wed May 15, 2019 12:31 pm

Hi lads, i am new here. I got a Viamare 250T Dinghy off a friend yesterday because i want to try a bit of fishing in rivers, bays etc. I need an outboard engine is the only thing and i was looking at a Mariner 4HP one. Do ye think that would be too big for a 2.5 meter dinghy??? I fished from kayaks before and have the lifejackets and that i just want to try something new for cheap enough money to see if i like it. Any help is appreciated

Re: 2.5m Dinghy + 4HP Outboard help?

Thu May 16, 2019 9:31 pm

4hp should be fine. The boat should have a plate on it with the max hp rating.

Fri May 17, 2019 12:45 am

thanks for the reply. yeah it says 3HP is the max.

Fri May 17, 2019 9:46 am

Stick to the 2.5hp so

Wed May 22, 2019 4:06 pm

2.5m is on the small side for angling. You'll soon tire of pottering about and hanker for a bit of speed! :)
If rated for 3hp and you have a 4hp then 4hp will do. Just keep the speed down a bit and keep an eye on the transom area that it's not splitting :shock:
I'm sure you know the drill as regards safety etc... Enjoy!

Tue May 28, 2019 2:03 pm

ok thanks for the replies lads but i just sold my dinghy/4hp and bought a 17ft Sea Nymph lol :D :roll:
I bought it as a bit of a project. ive been building cars and motorbikes all my life. now its time to have a go at boats :D
Post a reply