Just purchased a boat.Help!

Boat Angling - everything welcome. The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals, and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: JimC

Just purchased a boat.Help!

Postby Jonezy » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:48 pm

So after about a year of saving and searching I went and collected a lovely warrior 165 with all the bells and whistles a few weeks back(fishfinder,gps,aux engine, anchor,etc). I have limited experience with boats and most of my sea fishing has been for bass from the rocks/beaches with lures. I've been out on a few charters and hired self drive boats a couple of times but I don't really know any marks in cork harbour etc.

Can someone give me a few pointers for marks I might pick up a few fish? I want to keep my bass fishing up but also want to get out to some wrecks and reefs for pollack/ling/whatever else is down there :D etc.

I'm going to be keeping it on a berth in monkstown marina as the only other place I can keep it is an hour away. I'll be staying around the harbour for the first few trips till I get more confident with the boat.

Any tips or information is welcome and if anyone with a bit of knowledge want's a free day out in exchange for some pointers send me a message.

For this message the author Jonezy has received thanks:
chuckaroo (Wed May 01, 2019 2:20 pm)
Jonezy
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 1 time

Re: Just purchased a boat.Help!

Postby kieran » Wed May 01, 2019 11:24 am

you need to talk to Jim. Problem sorted! ;0)

For this message the author kieran has received thanks:
JimC (Wed May 01, 2019 6:08 pm)
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby JimC » Wed May 01, 2019 6:07 pm

Well you have picked a fine craft for your first one!
Cork harbour can be a rewarding place but it can be a tough mistress as well.
Have a read off this article and have a look at some of the other articles on there. Much of it is Cork based.
http://www.topfisher.eu/angling-cork-ha ... sta-style/
Give me a shout if you have questions.
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby Jonezy » Thu May 02, 2019 10:44 pm

Thanks Jim that article has loads of info to get me going. I went out Wednesday and fished a few different spots but only lost 2 lures :D .I'm going to go out again tomorrow and try a few of these spots and hopefully have better luck.Another thing I'm looking for is a decent short lure rod that doesn't break the bank.I have a lovely major craft 9 footer that I'm using for now but it's a bit awkward on a boat.
Jonezy
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby donal domeney » Fri May 03, 2019 10:15 am

Should be on the water myself tomorrow. Have you a name on the boat, I've a 165 with a 80hp yam on the back boat name "Apollo".
Thankfully you won't find me around the bass marks. I've the boat 11 years and never went after them in it.

Grab yourself a few mussel from under the pontoon, my number 1 bait for plaice in the harbour. Fish them on a flowing rig with bling's and beads and a size 1 hook
Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '16 (30) Shore species (17) Total species 36
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Postby JimC » Sat May 04, 2019 5:33 pm

Jonezy wrote:Thanks Jim that article has loads of info to get me going. I went out Wednesday and fished a few different spots but only lost 2 lures :D .I'm going to go out again tomorrow and try a few of these spots and hopefully have better luck.Another thing I'm looking for is a decent short lure rod that doesn't break the bank.I have a lovely major craft 9 footer that I'm using for now but it's a bit awkward on a boat.

Grand to be out there. It can be a bit hit and miss in the harbour on the lures about now. Things tend to only be getting going.
I just took a look in the shed....I have a SureCatch Salty spin that needs an eye whipping on or a Rovex Certec 4-28g if one is of any use...
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Return to Boat Angling Q&A / Forum