Blonde Ray Cork harbour

Boat Angling - everything welcome. The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals, and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: JimC

Blonde Ray Cork harbour

Postby eddyfletch » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:53 pm

Hey guys,

I am wondering if someone can help me out. I am looking to catch blonde ray in cork harbour. I Have done some research myself but just looking to get a bit of info added. When is the best time of year to even attempt to catch these ? Iv been told its possible to catch them all year round. Also what tides are most suited ?

If you wanna pm me instead thats perfect.

Thanks,
Eddy
Species 2017 Shore caught Dog Fish Codling Flounder Strap Conger 3 bearded rocky Conger Dab Scorpion fish (22cm) Pollack Thornback Ray Tub Gurnard Sea Bass Smoothhound coalie
eddyfletch
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 31 times

Re: Blonde Ray Cork harbour

Postby timohcork » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:02 pm

Better go fishing this weekend, not that I've caught one, JimC wrote this about a January day. http://www.topfisher.eu/bank-fishing-blondes-big-ray/

For this message the author timohcork has received thanks:
JimC (Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:56 pm)
timohcork
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 22 times

Postby JimC » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:56 pm

Yep! That article holds true for Blondes. Last year I caught a blonde just outside the harbour while fishing for congers! The Bank is certainly the best place to go and I would start out fishing the start of the flood! They are more fickle now than previously.
If there is lots of whiting in the harbour (And there is now) then fishing with bait for blondes can be a frustrating exercise. The bait robbers will drive you scatty and will hamper your chances of hooking up the target species.
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby timohcork » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:44 pm

My last kayak day just before Christmas I was fishing just off the edge of the channel near White Bay. I was running out of bait so started using big chunks of whiting on 5/0 hooks. That caught me more whiting :(
timohcork
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 22 times

Return to Boat Angling Q&A / Forum