Winter boat fishing north dublin

Boat Angling - everything welcome. The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals, and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: JimC

Winter boat fishing north dublin

Postby eoghanb » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:43 pm

Hi all ,I'm looking to see if anyone has had much luck winter fishing off north Dublin ,particularly Balbriggan/skerries area .im just trying to decide weather to take the boat out or not,I'm sure I'll get a few good weather days but would the fishing be worth it
eoghanb
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 336 times

Re: Winter boat fishing north dublin

Postby kieran » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:50 pm

eoghan

I used to take a 14 footer out of Rush on *stressed * VERY calm days, to a mark halfway out to Lambay. Harbour is quite tidal or was...

It's almost in a direct line form the point beside the harbour to the nearest point on Lambay and if I recall, once you found the higher ground on the sounder, the best drifts were always south. No idea why.

Once you got opposite Portrane, it was time to turn and motor back up.

It used to be stuffed full of mackerel and if you got past them, the prize was red Codling. Nothing massive but you would pick a few up each trip. Kelp was where you needed to be, so snaggy but that was the game... Could get rough wind against tide.

All we did was use baited feathers, WHITE feathers worked well in the autumn. Always remember that it never gave up a pollack! Right on the bottom for the cod. Bump the lead off it. 8 oz was enough in all but the biggest tides. Recall one or two trips in November and one around Christmas that didn't produce much. Plague of pin whiting but nothing much bigger feeding on them...

Heath warning: that was 20 years ago, could be a desert now. Could be great. Hope this helps...

K
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: Winter boat fishing north dublin

Postby eoghanb » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:40 pm

Cheers for the reply,I'll try and get out this month if I can
eoghanb
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 336 times

Return to Boat Angling Q&A / Forum