Advise Welcome

Boat Angling - everything welcome. The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals, and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: JimC

Advise Welcome

Postby Clive O Driscoll » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:26 pm

Hi All,

I am heading out Boat fishing soon ( its been Years since i went out on Boats for fishing ) so a little lost as to what to use?
I used to just get the Tackle from the skipper, standard heavy duty rod, slap a mackerel on and walla Big Conger etc, but a mate who fishes a lot tells me he uses a 5M length Rod and when i questioned this, he mentioned that he casts as to find the fish...

I couldn't get my head around this, 12 blokes on a Boat casting like beach fishing?? Anyway, the rods I have been eyeing up are from Tubertini and they come roughly in the 3-5m length with different tips etc, so I guess what I'm trying to ask here is, Im looking for any advise on setups people are using for competition fishing, mainly for Big cod, pollock, ling conger etc...

Don't really want to be fishing a Poker of a rod, something light but with plenty of Grunt if a Bigger fish were to fall..

Also if anybody could advise on line strength, rigs etc, I would be grateful

Thanks
Clive
Clive O Driscoll
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 40 times

Re: Advise Welcome

Postby donal domeney » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:28 am

These long rods are the choice of the competition match angler usually matched with a fixed spool reel. They fish for a minimum fish size of 15cm?. If you are looking at fishing the light lines competitions then this would be the weapon of choice.

I don't fish these comps but from what I've heard it's long 40lb bodies and long 20lb snoods. Dan is probably the best tackle dealer to talk to about competition fishing. http://www.tackledirectireland.ie/index ... =page&id=7 Ring ahead to make sure he will be there himself

I do have a 12' boat rod but find it hard going in my 165 warrior. If you do go after the bigger fish expect to loose a tip or two on the way. People must be breaking them as Dan have plenty in stock at the Halfway Angling :)
My weapon of choice is a 12/20 rod (8' 4') matched with a Penn 535 loaded with 30lb braid. Fished with a 4 to 8oz lead anything heavier will kill the action in the rod. This set up has taken plenty of blue shark and seen poor cod bites in 180' of water.
Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '16 (30) Shore species (17) Total species 36
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder

For this message the author donal domeney has received thanks:
Clive O Driscoll (Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:46 pm)
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Postby Clive O Driscoll » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:51 pm

Thanks Donal, appreciate your input.

Ya I think ill go with a good Boat rod setup that would suit most types of Deep sea angling, the Light lines will be a bit of craic I'm sure and ill take that experience onboard, and take it from there.

I had rung Dan the other day and will get down to him this week hopefully.
Clive
Clive O Driscoll
SAI Bait Ball

Postby timohcork » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:50 pm

Dan is the man to get you set up with the right gear alright,he's been very helpful to me since I started a couple of years ago. It might be worth giving round 1 of the Munster League/Light Lines a go and having a look at how everyone is set up so you've a better idea of what involved, 8-9 anglers a boat, those at the stern fish down tide, of the sides uptide (cast from outside the boat only) or downtide. It's fished within the harbour or up to a mile outside, first round is Sunday November 11th so get on to Danny Kane to see if there are places left. https://www.facebook.com/danny.kane3/posts/10215483595037008
timohcork
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 22 times

Postby Clive O Driscoll » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:36 pm

Thanks Timoh,

Sean Og already booked me on for the 11th, and can't wait to see what's up with this, with the season I had this year both Fresh water and Sea, it has been my Personal Worst to date, so with the Boat fishing that's coming up, I am hopeful of a few catches...

But to be fair, I don't honestly care about catching every session, its just being out there and giving it a go.
Clive
Clive O Driscoll
SAI Bait Ball

Postby timohcork » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:11 pm

You're laughing so, Sean Og has been very generous with advice for myself and my small fella. See you in 2 weeks.
timohcork
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 22 times

Return to Boat Angling Q&A / Forum