Self drive boat hire

Boat Angling - everything welcome. The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals, and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: JimC

Self drive boat hire

Postby MtlSix » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:37 pm

Does anyone here know of any place where one can hire a self drive boat in North Dublin? I know you can in South Dublin. I'm only aware of charters in the North and that doesn't really suit if i decide to head out last minute and or solo/one other person.
MtlSix
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Self drive boat hire

Postby MAC » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:08 pm

As far as I know there are none on the Northside of Dublin
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby spandito » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:48 am

Id say the reason there is none on the Northside is due to the fact that its very tidal and the current around Howth and especially Malahide can be quite severe coupled with a lot of rough and uneven ground - not to mention the large fishing trawlers moving in and out of Howth Harbour. You would need a GPS on every boat!!. Added to the fact Howth is actually quite close to the main shipping channel in and out of Dublin Port and the number of large sailing clubs in the area whom run numerous racing events throughout the year. Dalkey is fairly sheltered and they do only allow them out on calm days but I would love it if someone did start up something on the Northside. Im guessing the reasons above might impact the public liability insurance costs so it might not be financially viable. There is a paddle boat/ Kayak rental place on Malahide Estuary. You are limited to where you can go but gets you on the water all the same. I have not used it myself but drove past quite a few times and didn't appear to be busy. Its between the Village and the Sailing club - cant miss it.....

For this message the author spandito has received thanks:
jaywalshe (Wed May 09, 2018 11:48 am)
spandito
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 16 times

Postby JOHN1 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:49 pm

Never underestimate the tidal currents around dalkey, some of the strongest currents on the east coast around here! Even on the calmest days they can make you wish you never went out.
Species Target (1) Anything will be a Bonus.

BALLYBRACK SAC.
EFSA.
SouthShore SAC.
JOHN1
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 598 times

Postby ste c » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:26 pm

Agree with you on that 1 john had a few rough days around dalkey fishing with them currents

For this message the author ste c has received thanks:
JOHN1 (Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:00 pm)
ste c
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 323 times

Return to Boat Angling Q&A / Forum