Braided line

Boat Angling - everything welcome. The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals, and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: JimC

Braided line

Postby joeymackerel » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:41 pm

Hi lads just looking for some advice on types of braid, just got two new boat rods rated 12-20 and and 20-30 ...Will be using with multipliers , for drifting with lures for pollock and bass generally inshore but occasionally over reefs and wrecks and ledgering for ray and tope and what ever else comes along . can anyone recommend a decent braid that would suit this type of fishing and what would be suitable breaking strains , dont know a whole lot about braid as i only use it during the bass fishing season on my spinning gear and dont do alot of boat fishing . Cheers
Last edited by joeymackerel on Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joeymackerel
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 30 times

Re: Braided line

Postby keymcg » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:01 pm

Hard to beat whiplash crystal. It's expensive but you will get 2 years out of it and then can turn it around on the reel so 4 years fishing for around €45

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

For this message the author keymcg has received thanks:
joeymackerel (Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:44 am)
keymcg
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 86 times

Postby ste c » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:40 pm

30lb braid is perfect joey whiplash is a decent braid or try that new j braid
ste c
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 323 times

Postby joeymackerel » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:59 am

ste c wrote:30lb braid is perfect joey whiplash is a decent braid or try that new j braid

Cheers ste , plenty spikey lads going down this way at moment
joeymackerel
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 30 times

Postby pajo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:12 am

Hello,

I use either Power Pro Super 8 Slick or Daiwa Tournament Braid for all my boat fishing and can't fault either one. Very smooth and reliable and they don't 'dig in' to line on the spool when under pressure. They both have a smooth round profile and don't tend to cut the finger off you when trying to guide it onto the spool. The Power Pro is a shade thicker than the Tournament but still much thinner than equivalent mono. The Tournament seems to have been replaced by Tournament Evo which is a bit pricey - the J Braid mentioned by Ste C is probably the more reasonable offering from Daiwa.
I generally use braid with a breaking strain of around 40/50lb and tie on a mono leader maybe 3-4m long of 20/25lb (with an Albright knot). Almost all of the time when I get snagged the mono (or the trace) will break leaving my braid intact. The braid seems to be a bit sensitive to abrasion so if it gets snagged and dragged under the boat for example it can be weakened. I keep an eye on it and check it every now and again and cut off any rough or worn bits.
If I'm fishing wrecks or tope I can tie on a heavier leader but usually 25lb is plenty.

Regards,
Pajo

For this message the author pajo has received thanks:
joeymackerel (Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:28 pm)
pajo
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 31 times

Postby ste c » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:42 am

Been getting a few joey to 7lb will drop you text next time im down see if your about man

For this message the author ste c has received thanks: 2
joeymackerel (Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:21 pm), philmat (Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:38 pm)
ste c
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 323 times

Return to Boat Angling Q&A / Forum