Algarve charter boats

Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:36 pm

Heading to Portugal for a week in July. I'm hoping to get at least one trip out fishing. Can anyone recommend a decent charter working over there as there seems to be very mixed reviews online.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

Re: Algarve charter boats

Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:00 am

I went on one last year from Vilamoura marina.
We had decent fishing and a good day out. Booked it with this company
http://www.cruzeiros-da-oura.com
Everything is kept, from small bream to some large poisonous fish we were warned about beforehand and werent allowed touch. We were allowed take keep what we wanted at the end of the day tho.
The gear on the boat was shocking. Heavy rods for targeting small fish, all the reels had thick mono and were heavily caked in salt.
I had brought a travel spinning rod, rated for 2-15g and had a small 2500 reel with 8lb braid. I had savage craic with it. The lads laughed and said it was too small but i stuck with it. I lost one big fish towards the end of the day as i didnt have the power to get it up quickly and the trace snapped. Still better than 1lb bream on 30lb rods tho.
They also put out shark gear, they said it was a little early(end of may) but worth a go. We landed one small blue and had 3 other takes but no hook ups. There was only 3 people on the boat which was great as the 2 lads working had time for questions and to help out. Id imagine in high season there could be 15 or more on the boat tho.
Id go with them again but id bring my own gear. A 12lb class rod or any typical Irish lure rod and reel would be ideal for the bulk of what you'll be targeting.

Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:46 am

Cheers for the info Red, might be a problem bringing a rod as I have only carry on luggage but may buy a cheapo out there and just bring a reel

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:38 am

The reels they had looked worse than they were but the rods were way too heavy for the small fish. Braid is just nicer to use too.